This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy Lebanese Red Lentil Mujadara recipe is my go-to meal when I want something that’s healthy, quick and delicious. It’s completely vegan, loaded with red lentils, onions and some rice. Oh and comes together in under 30 minutes!
Red Lentil Mujadara/ Yellow Lentil Mujadara
Red lentil mujadara is a popular Lebanese red lentil and rice dish, also known as Mujadara Hamra, or Mujadara Safra (Yellow Mujadara).
You can’t go wrong with this healthy Lebanese vegan dish, the ingredients are simple and inexpensive. Whether you are a fan of traditional Lebanese Mujadara or not, you should try this mujadara twist with red lentils! Just keep in mind that the lovely orange color of red lentils will fade a little after cooking.
Lately I’ve been trying to cook and serve at least one healthy plant-based, meat-free meal a week. This easy mujadara hamra recipe ticks all the boxes for me. It’s loaded with plant-based protein.
What is Mujadara?
Mujadara is a Lentil rice or bulgur wheat based dish; There are countless variations of this recipe. I cook mujadara in two ways, with brown lentils, which is the most common and traditional way to cook Mujadara, and with red lentils; the recipe I’m sharing today. They are both amazing!
What you Need to Make Red Lentil Mujadara:
You probably already have everything you need in your pantry to make this mujadara hamra recipe.
Red Lentils- The star of the show!
Onions- I like white onions for this recipe, but yellow onion will do.
Rice- Long grain
Olive Oil– Extra virgin
Salt– To taste
How to Make Red Lentil Mujadara- Mujadara Hamra:
- Wash and drain your rice and lentils and set aside.
- In large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil for a few minutes.
- Add onions and stir well to coat all pieces with oil.
- Stir frequently until onions are caramelized, crisp at the edges and starting to turn golden brown – about 10 minutes.
- Add Red lentils and rice and mix well with onions.
- Add warm water, cover the pot and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, keep pot covered, and cook until the water is absorbed and the rice and lentils are both cooked through – about 15 minutes. Stirring occasionally to prevent mixture from sticking to bottom of skillet.
- Transfer Red Lentil Mujadara to serving plates immediately while still hot.
- Serve hot, warm or at room temperature with your favorite salad and pita bread.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is red lentil mujadara (mujaddara) a make ahead dish?
YES! This is also a fitting recipe if you’re doing meal preps. You can make it ahead and store it in an airtight container.
It keeps the fridge for up to 4 days. When you’re ready to serve it, you can simply warm it in the microwave. Mujadara is typically served at room temperature with salad and pita bread.
Do you need to soak the red lentils before cooking?
Nope! Just give it a quick rise, if you’d like. No soaking required and they cook up mighty fast. Red lentils, like the ones we’re using today, cook up especially quickly because they’ve been hulled and split.