Lebanese Lentil soup with vegetables
This post may contain affiliate links.
Incredibly delicious Lebanese style lentil Soup with vegetables, loaded with swiss chard, carrots and potatoes. It is healthy, vegetarian and very easy to prepare.
Lebanese lentil soup with vegetables is recipe from my childhood, my mom made this traditional soup for us all winter long. It is one of those soups that tastes even better the next day or the day after that!
PREP COOK TOTAL
- 8 cups water
- 1 large cup brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- A bunch swiss chard, thinly cut ( Leafs and stems)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 potatoes, cut into cubes
- 4 carrots, sliced into circles
- 1 tbsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- Heat the oil in a large pot medium heat.
- Add the olive oil, onions and salt. Lightly brown the onions, stirring frequently.
- Add lentils and stir with browned onions for 1 minute.
- Pour 8 cups of water.
- Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, usually about 25 minutes.
- Add carrots, cook for additional 15 mins.
- Add the swiss chard and potatoes, reduce heat to medium-low , cover the pot, and cook until the potatoes are completely cooked ( about 20 minutes )
- Pour lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, mix corn starch and 5 tbsp of warm water together and add to the pot.
- Continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Serve with toasted pita or multigrain bread.
- Add additional fresh squeezed lemon to taste, after serving.
Here is another soup idea!