Lebanese Lentil Soup with Vegetables- Adas b Hamod
This post may contain affiliate links.
Incredibly delicious Lebanese Lentil Soup with Vegetables, also known as Adas b Hamod in Arabic. It’s vegan, easy to prepare, loaded with swiss chard, carrots and potatoes; this healthy and hearty soup is the perfect winter warmer! It is one of those soups that tastes even better the next day or the day after that!
Lebanese Lentil Soup
Who’s ready for a light and refreshing bowl of Lebanese lentil soup with vegetables? Everyone needs a good lentil soup for winter days that is flavorful and filling, which also happens to require a handful of ingredients, 1 pot, and a little less than 1 hour to make.
What You Need to Make Lebanese Lentil Soup with Swiss Chard and Lemon:
Brown lentils. Works best for this recipe.
Swiss chard. The authentic Lebanese lentil soup recipe is made with green swiss chard, but I love the color that red swiss chard adds to this soup. You can use whatever kind of swiss chard that you have on hand.
Lemon juice. You can also add a sprinkle of sumac spice for extra sour flavor.
Corn starch. The thickener: I’ve made this recipe both with the corn starch thickener added to the soup and without. There’s barely any difference, but it’s slightly richer if you add the corn starch.
How to Make Middle Eastern Lentil Soup Soup:
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat, add chopped onions and salt and cook for 5-7 minutes until wilted but not browned.
- Add the lentils and mix well with the onions.
- Pour water, bring to a boil, cover the pot, lower heat to medium low and simmer until tender, 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and separate the swiss chard leaves from the stems. Cut the stems to small cubes and chop the leaves too. Wash, peel and cut the potatoes and carrots into bite size cuts as well.
- Once lentils are soft, add carrots and potatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes on medium heat or until veggies are tender.
- Mix corn starch with a few tablespoons of warm water and set aside.
- Add the swiss chard and corn starch mixture, stir and cover the pot. Cook for 5 more minutes to wilt.
- Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice. Then taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt or lemon juice.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
How to serve lentil soup:
With a lemon wedge on the side and a piece of toast.
How to store and freeze Lebanese style lentil soup:
Any lentil soup leftovers can be refrigerated for up to five days or freeze up to six months. Store the soup in freezer-safe containers. Let thaw overnight in the fridge before serving. warm in the microwave or on stove top.
What are the calories in this Middle Eastern lentil soup?
200 calories of goodness a bowl!