Spinach Lentil Soup with Lemon
This post may contain affiliate links.
This spinach lentil soup with lemon is a perfect way to use up all of those lentils stockpiled in your pantry. I make this soup with lentils, spinach, carrots and fresh lemon whenever I’m in need of some healthy comfort food.
Quite simply, spinach lentil soup with lemon became my all-time favorite lentil soup especially during quarantine. It was inspired by my Lebanese Lentil Soup with vegetables soup recipe. The only difference is that I substituted spinach with swish chard and left out potatoes.
PREP COOK TOTAL
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils – rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrot (2 large carrots)
- 2 heaping cups shredded spinach
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 lemon- sliced round
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- Heat the oil in a large pot on medium heat.
- Add the olive oil, onions and salt. Lightly brown the onions, stirring frequently.
- Add lentils and stir with browned onions for 1 minute.
- Pour 8 cups of water.
- Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, usually about 25 minutes.
- Add carrots, cover the pot and cook for additional 15 mins.
- Uncover the pot and stir in the spinach and cook, uncovered, another 5 minutes.
- Add lemon slices.
- Pour lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, mix corn starch and 5 tbsp of warm water together and add to the pot.
- Continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard lemon slices, as they tend to turn bitter if left for too long.
- Serve and add additional fresh squeezed lemon to taste.