Lentil Spinach Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Lebanese Lentil Spinach Soup is an easy one-pot vegan soup that is full of flavor. It’s light, nutritious and satisfying with lots of fiber. I make this soup with lentils, spinach, potatoes, carrots and fresh lemon whenever I’m in need of some healthy comfort food. What’s not to love?
Lentil Spinach Soup
I have many hearty soup recipes on Salt & Sweet. chunky and hearty such as Lebanese Lamb Soup and Lebanese Chicken Soup are perfect for any day of the week and lighter soups like this Lebanese red lentil soup, can be served as a nice appetizer. This Lentil Soup with Spinach is another one of my go-to recipes when we crave comfort and heartiness in a one bowl!
This green lentil soup is a perfect way to use up all of those lentils stockpiled in the back of your pantry. This soup was inspired by my Lebanese Lemon Lentil Soup with Swiss Chard recipe. It is also gluten free!
Ingredients to Make Lebanese Lentil Spinach Soup:
(Find the exact measurements in recipe card at the end of this page)
- Brown lentils. Works best for this recipe. They tend to retain their shape, so the consistency of the soup won’t change.
- Spinach. I used baby spinach, no chopping required! You can also use frozen spinach.
- Lemon juice. You can also add a sprinkle of sumac spice for extra tanginess.
- Onion. Diced.
- Carrots. Cut into round slices
- Potatoes. Cut into small bite pieces.
- Salt. To taste.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
How to Make Lentil Spinach Soup:
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat, add chopped onions and salt and cook for 5-7 minutes until wilted but not browned.
- Add the lentils and mix well with the onions.Pour water, bring to a boil, cover, lower heat to medium low and simmer until tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash, peel and cut the potatoes and carrots into bite size pieces.
- Once lentils are soft, add carrots and potatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes on medium heat or until veggies are tender.
- Add the spinach and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice. Then taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt or lemon juice.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Tips to Make the Best Lebanese Lentil Spinach Soup:
- For a thicker soup, mix one tablespoon of corn starch with a few tablespoons of warm water and pour over the soup at the end. Just before you add the lemon juice and let it simmer for 5 minutes. skip this step if you are on a gluten free diet.
- Cook the lentils just until soft but not fully cooked, they will continue on cooking a little more after you add the veggies.
- Once you add the spinach, remove from heat immediately, to avoid overcooking them.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I need to soak lentils?
No, you do not need to soak our lentils. Although it is a good idea to rinse lentils under running cold water before cooking.
How to Store Lentil Soup with Spinach:
To Refrigerate: Keep covered and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days. Reheat in microwave in 30-second intervals until heated through.
To Freeze: Divide into individual freezer-safe containers. Freeze, covered for up to 3 months. To reheat, transfer to the refrigerator or reheat from frozen in 30-second intervals until heated through.
This Lebanese Lentil Spinach Soup is perfect for meal prep. I make a large batch of soup, enjoy it for dinner and freeze or refrigerate the rest.
If you make this recipe, or any other recipe on Salt & Sweet, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I love hearing from you.
MORE LENTIL RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY:
Lebanese Red Lentil Soup
Lentil Soup with Pasta
Spinach Lentil Soup with Lemon
Red Lentil Mujadara
Red Lentil Tabouli Salad
Hi. I don’t see how many potatoes to use in the ingredients list, but in the directions, it says to use potatoes and carrots. Please let me know how many potatoes needed, if any. Thank you.
Ops! Thank you for catching that! I add about two potatoes- cut into bite size pieces to this Lentil soup. I updated the recipe as well, thank you!