The name of this recipe in Arabic translates to “beehive” in english. Olive and cheese stuffed bread is made out of small bread rolls, each stuffed with mozzarella cheese and one pitted olive. These small rolls are then placed on a round baking tray as close to each other as possible.
I use a 10 inch diameter baking tray, which makes around 30 small buns.
For dough mixture:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cups milk (warm)
For the filling:
- 5 mozzarella sticks (each one cut into small pieces – a total of 30 pieces)
- Around 30 pitted olives
To make the dough:
- In a large bowl with lid, add flour, salt, sugar, yeast and baking powder – Mix very well.
- Warm up the milk and add it to the flour mixture.
- Add the vegetable oil.
- Knead till the dough becomes smooth and soft.
- Roll it into a ball and cover it with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Cover the ball-shaped roll with a plastic wrap and cover the bowl with its lid.
- Stick the dough in the oven or keep it in a warm place covered with a thick towel for it to rise for 1.5 hours.
To Make the Bread Rolls:
- Once the dough rises, divide it into 30 small pieces.
- Using the palm of your hand flatten each individual dough ( I usually will flatten and fill one piece at a time, but you can consolidate tasks by flattening all pieces then filling and closing all pieces)
- Fill each piece of dough with cheese and an olive
- Pull up the sides of the rolled out dough and wrap around the filling, pinching it to close at the top. Using your palms roll out into smooth balls.
- Pre heat oven to 350 F.
- In greased 10 inch diameter tray, arrange the cheese and olives filled balls as close to each other as possible. (It will look like a beehive).
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy!