This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Lebanese Lemon Garlic Chickpeas recipe, also known as Musabaha or Balila is bursting with flavorful hints of lemon and packed with protein. This Lebanese side dish, which is traditionally served as breakfast in Middle Eastern cuisine, is vegan and gluten free, but mostly just delicious!
Lebanese Musabaha is so easy to make and comes together quick. I love cooking with chickpeas and have included many quick recipes on the blog that use chickpeas including; Chickpea Fatteh- Fattet Hummus, Eggplant Chickpea Fatteh, Hummus Recipe, Lebanese moussaka, Lebanese Beef Pilaf with Chickpeas, Quinoa Hummus Bowland Roasted Chickpea Salad.
What is Musabaha?
Musabaha, Msabbaha or Msabaha literary translates to “swimming” in Arabic, I’m going to assume that this is because of how the chickpeas float in the lemon garlic and olive oil dressing. But don’t take my word for it. Msabaha is a popular Lebanese chickpea breakfast that is similar to Lebanese Ful (Fava Beans), often served together, but with chickpeas instead of fava beans.
What you’ll Need for this Lebanese Musabaha Recipe:
How to Make this Simple Vegan Chickpea Recipe:
- Rinse your canned chickpeas with cold water and drain, to remove excess salt .
- Place rinsed and drained chickpeas in a large saucepan over medium heat, and add 1/2 cup of water.
- Bring mixture to a boil and remove from heat.
- Prepare the lemon dressing: In a small bowl, whisk crushed garlic, salt, lemon juice and olive oil together.
- Drizzle the dressing over the warm chickpeas and mix well.
- Taste and adjust salt/sour.
- Top with Chopped parsley.
- Serve with pita bread and radishes if you’d like.
Is Msabaha (Musabaha) a Make-Ahead Dish?
Leftover Lemon Garlic Chickpeas is great for meal prep because it keeps really well in the refrigerator for a couple of days. In fact it only gets better as the flavors of lemon juice, garlic and olive oil meld in the refrigerator. To store, place in an airtight container. warm it for a few seconds in the microwave just before serving.