I could not come up with an English translation for Mujadara. Some people have translated it by listing the main ingredients, but that does not do this dish justice!
With this four ingredients recipe: Lentils, rice, onions and salt; you can make a very healthy vegetarian meal.
Growing up, I never really appreciated Mujadara, but thankfully I have smarter taste buds these days.
Serves: 5 people
- 1 cup small brown lentils
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/4 cup long-grain rice
- In large skillet over medium-high heat add oil, onions and salt.
- Stir frequently until onions turn dark brown – about 15 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan add lentils and water.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are tender – about 30 mins.
- Add the rice and the cooked onions to the lentils.
- Cover and bring back to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice and lentils are both cooked through – about 30 minutes.
- Pour Mujadara into serving dishes while still hot.
- Serve the Mujadara hot or at room temperature with you favorite salad.
- Enjoy! 🙂