This post may contain affiliate links.
A delicious homemade flatbread dough topped with cheesy goodness! These Lebanese Cheese Manakish are the perfect make-ahead snack, appetizer, or even brunch!
What is Manakish?
Manakish. Manakeesh or Manaqish is a popular breakfast in Middle Eastern cuisine. Lebanese Manakish is made with homemade flatbread topped with a variety of choices. Some of these toppings include: cheese, zaatar , spinach or beef.
The Dough for Cheese Manakish Recipe:
The dough for this cheese manakeesh recipe is very easy to prepare. With just 6 ingredients, this manakish dough requires one bowl (no stand mixer, though you can use one if you’d like), about 5 minutes of kneading, and 2 hours to rise. If you don’t have the time to prepare homemade dough, you can use ready-made pizza dough or frozen rolls as an alternative.
The Cheese Topping for Manakish:
In Lebanon we use a mix of special cheese for manakish called “Akkawi cheese” and “Halloumi cheese”, but since it is hard to find in the US, I have been using a mix of Queso Blanco cheese (I find mine at Walmart) with shredded mozzarella cheese as a delicious alternative!
How to Make Cheese Manakish:
(Here is a step by step with pictures on how to assemble these Lebanese manakish- Scroll down to recipe card for exact measurements)
- Preheat oven to 400° F and lightly grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Form the cheese manakish by flattening the small dough balls on the prepared greased baking sheet into small circles with your fingertips. They will be about 5-6 inches in diameter.
- Press on each one with your fingertips to sculpt little dips for the topping to sit in.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of cheese topping in the middle of each flattened circle, leave a 1 inch border around.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until the dough is slightly browned on bottom.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
How to Store Manakish:
While manakish with cheese are best enjoyed when served warm, but they keep well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Reheat for a few seconds in the microwave, toaster or oven.
If you like this healthy Lebanese cheese flatbread Manakish recipe or any other recipe on The Salt and Sweet Kitchen, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! You can also follow and tag me on my Instagram page 🙂