Lebanese Ful (Fava Beans)
This post may contain affiliate links.
Lebanese Ful also known as Ful Medames or Foul Mudamas is a popular Middle Eastern savory breakfast recipe that’s made with cooked fava beans, topped with a garlic lemon dressing, and served with fresh vegetables and pita bread.
Lebanese Ful makes for a healthy vegetarian breakfast that is full of flavor. This dish comes together in less than 20 minutes! I always keep my pantry stocked with cooked fava bean cans, I get mine from my local Middle Eastern store.
Ingredients for this easy Lebanese ful recipe:
- Cooked fava beans cans
- Lemon juice
- Olive Oil
How do you make Lebanese ful?
- Rinse your cooked fava bean cans with cold water and drain, to get rid of excess salt .
- Place rinsed and drained fava beans in a large saucepan over medium heat, and add 1 and half cups of cold water.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, using a wooden garlic smasher, smash your fava beans to get the desired consistency. The recipe calls for smashing to a smooth consistency, but we prefer a lightly smashed chunky consistency.
- While the fava bean is cooking, in a small bowl, add crushed garlic, salt and lemon juice and mix well.
Pour the lemon garlic sauce over the cooked cooked fava beans and mix well. Taste and adjust salt/sour.
Transfer to a serving bowl, top with a drizzle of olive oil, chopped tomatoes and fresh parsley.
- Serve with pita bread and radishes if you’d like.
How to store Lebanese ful medames?
While ful is best enjoyed when served immediately, you can store in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge. Warm it up a little bit before serving again.