Lebanese Okra Stew
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This hearty Lebanese Okra Stew is comfort food at its best! Lebanese cuisine includes many variations of stews served with rice. These dishes are served so commonly, there is a dedicated word in Arabic – “Yakhni”.
Okra Stew- Bamia
In this Lebanese okra stew recipe, tender beef and okra are stewed in a delicious rich tomato sauce and then served over Lebanese Vermicelli rice.
Okra stew is one of those comforting Middle Eastern dishes- just like Beef and Green Bean Stew, Beef Stew with Lima Beans, and Peas and Carrots Stew.
Okra translates to “Bamiya, Bamia, Bamieh, bemyeh, or bamiya” in Arabic.
This recipe is also known as yakhnit bamia, which translates to “okra stew”
What you Need to Make Lebanese Okra Stew (Bamia w Riz)
(Scroll down to recipe card for exact measurements)
Frozen baby okra
Ground all spice
Ground black pepper
Pomegranate Molasses or lemon juice
What Kind of Meat is Used in Lebanese Okra Stew?
You’ll want a type of beef that is tender and will cook quickly. I use sirloin steak, cut into bite size tips in this recipe. Sirloin steak is a typically tender pieces of meat cut from larger roasts such as sirloin tenderloin. You’ll want to avoid tougher cuts of meat such as chuck or beef stew cubes, although you can still use it especially if you own a pressure cooker. Just keep in mind that it will take longer to cook.
How Do you Make Lebanese Bamieh Recipe:
- Sauté the onion and garlic.
- Add and sauté the beef tips with spices.
- Add in water and cook until beef is tender.
- While beef is cooking, I like to cook my okra in the air fryer for about 10 minutes at 380 F.
- Once beef is tender, add the okra, cover the pot and cook until okra is soft.
- Add in fresh tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Simmer until thick, then add a dash of pomegranate molasses or lemon juice for extra flavor and enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Okra Stew Recipe:
- Cook the beef until super soft and tender before adding the okra and the tomatoes.
- Cook the okra with one tablespoon of olive oil in your air fryer before adding it the stew. This will help the okra hold shape, rather than becoming slimy in texture.
- Add a dash of pomegranate molasses or lemon juice for extra tanginess and more flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions?
What does okra taste like?
Okra has a mild, somewhat grassy taste. If you don’t normally like the texture of okra, you’ll love this one using frozen okra rather than fresh ones.
What to Eat with Mediterranean okra recipe:
We enjoy this recipe served over Lebanese vermicelli rice, but you can substitute the rice for quinoa or bulgur or just enjoy it with a side salad of you choice.
How to store leftover Bamieh w Riz:
Leftovers last for 3-4 days tightly covered in the fridge. This is one of those recipes that gets better on day 2 and 3.