Lebanese Vermicelli Rice
Lebanese Vermicelli Rice is a staple in Lebanese cuisine, it is served with pretty much all Lebanese stews such as my Okra Stew , Peas and Carrots Stew and Lima Beans Stew. So, I wanted to dedicate a post on how to make this simple, fluffy Lebanese vermicelli rice.
My husband actually thought that I was joking when I told him that my new recipe post will be about this vermicelli rice. I know that making rice is very simple, but it can sometimes be a little tricky if not cooked right. Rice to water ratio is the key to this recipe. No one appreciates a sticky, gooey or under-cooked rice. So there ya go! My secret to a perfectly cooked Lebanese vermicelli rice!
For this recipe, I will be using Basmati rice, my all time favorite! You can also use any medium grain rice, but just keep in mind that it will take a little longer to cook than Basmati rice.
- Place the rice in medium bowl and add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Rinse the rice well to get rid of the excess starch which causes rice to be sticky. Carefully pour off the water, leaving the rice in the bowl. Repeat a few times, or until the water runs almost clear. Using a fine strainer, drain the rice before cooking.
- In a medium non-stick cooking pan with lid, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the vermicelli and stir continuously until vermicelli pieces are evenly toasted and turned golden brown in color. Vermicelli cooks quick, so pay close attention to this step.
- Add the Basmati rice and salt and mix well with the toasted vermicelli.
- Add water and bring mixture to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low and cover your pot.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Transfer to a serving platter Enjoy!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
I’d love to know how it turned out! Please let me know by leaving a review below. Or snap a photo and share it on Instagram; be sure to tag me @thesaltandsweetkitchen or join my growing The Salt and Sweet Facebook community!