HOW TO PREPARE AN ARTICHOKE FOR COOKING
To prepare the artichokes, you’ll need to:
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add a few slices of lemon.
- Meanwhile, cut the stem of each artichoke.
- Cut the top quarter of the artichoke off with a sharp knife. Using kitchen scissors, cut off the points of each leaf that is left. you will have a thick layer of leaves around, part of these leaves are edible, you can feel free to leave it or discard after cooking.
- Gently loosen the bracts and using a spoon carefully scoop out the the inner bracts with the fine fibers, until you see the artichoke bottom. You’ll want to get rid of most of the fine fibers if not all.
- Carefully add the artichokes to the boiled water. Cover and simmer for 20- 25 minutes or until artichokes are tender.
- Remove from water and let them drain facing down while you prepare the stuffing mixture.
How to Make the Mixture for Meat Stuffed Artichokes:
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat oil, add diced onions and salt and cook until wilted for about 7-10 minutes.
- Add ground beef and spices and mix well with onions, stirring frequently to break the beef into small pieces, cook for 10- 15 minutes or until beef is fully cooked through. set aside.
Prepare the Pine Nuts- If using:
- In a small pan, over medium low heat, heat about olive oil, add the pine nuts and cook for 5- 7 minutes or until golden- stirring frequently to prevent them from getting burned- set aside.
How to Stuff Artichokes with Beef Mixture:
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking tray (set aside) and preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Placed boiled and drained artichokes on the prepared pan. lining them up next to each other.
- Scoop out about 1- 2 tablespoons of the beef mixture and fill each artichoke bottom. spread the rest of the beef mixture around the artichoke in the tray if you have any leftover mixture.
- Sprinkle the stuffed artichokes with pine nuts.
How to Cook Beef Stuffed Artichokes:
- In a medium size bowl, mix tomato sauce, tomato paste and minced garlic, thin it with 3- 4 cups and water and mix it well.
- Pour the tomato sauce mixture all over the stuffed artichokes.
- Cover your baking tray with a foil and bake for about 50 minutes minutes prior to serving.
- Serve over Lebanese rice enjoy!
More Stuffed Recipes? Here are some: