Lebanese Beef Stuffed Artichoke Bottoms
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Lebanese Beef Stuffed Artichoke Bottoms is exactly as it sounds, artichoke bottoms stuffed with a perfectly spiced beef and pine nuts mixture and braised in a delicious rich tomato sauce. This dish is seriously so good! I’ve always said that braising is my favorite cooking method and this Beef Stuffed Artichoke Bottoms recipe just proves that to be true!
Beef Stuffed Artichoke Bottoms
This Lebanese Beef Stuffed Artichoke Bottoms Recipe is one of my mother in law’s signature dishes, along with Lebanese Stuffed Cabbage Rolls.
My father in law who loves gardening, plants artichokes in his garden in Lebanon. The peak artichoke season in Lebanon is from May to June and that’s when my parents in law harvest them, make a few meals, and store the rest in the freezer. They would spent days peeling and cleaning these interesting large, spiky vegetables in order to stuff them. This recipe works for both fresh and frozen artichokes.
Fresh vs Frozen Artichokes:
Using frozen artichokes is much faster and a perfectly acceptable way to make this dish. I almost always use frozen artichoke bottoms. I will include few simple steps to help you prepare fresh artichokes for cooking. If you are in a rush, I highly recommend you use a frozen package instead.
HOW TO PREPARE FRESH ARTICHOKE FOR COOKING:
- To prepare the artichokes, you’ll need to:
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add a few slices of lemon.
- Meanwhile, cut the stem of each artichoke.
- Cut the top quarter of the artichoke off with a sharp knife. Using kitchen scissors, cut off the points of each leaf that is left. you will have a thick layer of leaves around, part of these leaves are edible, you can feel free to leave it or discard after cooking.
- Gently loosen the bracts and using a spoon carefully scoop out the the inner bracts with the fine fibers, until you see the artichoke bottom. You’ll want to get rid of most of the fine fibers if not all.
- Carefully add the artichokes to the boiled water. Cover and simmer for 20- 25 minutes or until artichokes are tender.
- Remove from water and let them drain facing down while you prepare the stuffing mixture.
How to Make the Mixture for Beef Stuffed Artichoke Bottoms:
(Scroll down to recipe card, for exact measurements and a printable option)
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat oil, add diced onions and salt and cook until wilted for about 7-10 minutes.
- Add ground beef and spices and mix well with onions, stirring frequently to break the beef into small pieces, cook for 10- 15 minutes or until beef is fully cooked through. set aside.
Prepare the Pine Nuts- If using:
- In a small pan, over medium low heat, heat about olive oil, add the pine nuts and cook for 5- 7 minutes or until golden- stirring frequently to prevent them from getting burned- set aside.
How to Stuff Artichokes with Meat Mixture:
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking tray (set aside) and preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place artichokes on the prepared pan. Lining them up next to each other.
- Scoop out about 1- 2 tablespoons of the beef mixture and fill each artichoke bottom. Spread the rest of the beef mixture around the artichoke in the tray if you have any leftover mixture.
How to Cook Stuffed Artichoke with Meat:
- In a medium size bowl, mix tomato sauce, tomato paste and minced garlic, thin it with about 1 cup of water and mix it well.
- Pour the tomato sauce mixture all over the stuffed artichokes. Sprinkle with pine nuts if using.
- Cover your baking tray with a foil and bake for about 50 minutes minutes prior to serving.
- Serve over Lebanese rice enjoy!
If you love stuffed artichokes, the you will love these stuffed Lebanese dinner recipes:
Vegetarian Lebanese Stuffed Zucchini
Lebanese Stuffed Grape Leaves
Lebanese Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Lebanese Stuffed Zucchini- Kousa
Kousa bil Laban- Stuffed Zucchini with Yogurt Sauce
Stay connected! Be sure to follow me on our social media, so you never miss a post.
FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM| EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the The Salt and Sweet Kitchen. If you would like to check it out, join HERE.
Lebanese stuffed artichokes! Ummm sounds delicious! Thank you for the recipe xoxo
They’re my favorite!
Recipes doesn’t indicate how much pine nuts or oil!!!
Hello Sherri, So sorry about that. It slipped my mind, I just updated the ingredients. You will need about 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the beef mixture and 2 tablespoons and 1/4 cup of pine nuts to the pine nuts mixture. Hope this helps 🙂