Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
OK, I have to admit… My mom in law makes the best stuffed cabbage rolls in the world. This has always been my favorite recipe. And here I confidently share with you
my mother in law’s my recipe for stuffed cabbage rolls. ?
Stuffed cabbage rolls is dish made out of cooked cabbage leaves stuffed with seasoned ground beef, tomatoes and rice; simmered in a rich tomato sauce and garlic gloves.
Non Stuffing Ingredients:
- 1 small green cabbage ( pick one with tender leaves)
- Tomato paste
- About 10 garlic cloves
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup medium grain rice
- salt to taste (about 1 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp ground all spice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 4 ripe tomatoes (Finely diced or blended in food processor)
To prepare cabbage for wrapping:
- Cut the cabbage in half and remove about 25 cabbage leaves. Choose tender leaves to make wrapping easier.
- Blanch the cabbage leaves in boiling salted water for about 5 mins or until tender but not too soft.
- Drain in a colander and set aside.
To make the stuffing:
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the stuffing ingredients
- Mix thoroughly until fully combined (I do this by hand)
The cabbage rolling process:
- spread each cabbage leaf on a smooth surface ( I use a cutting board)
- Add about one tablespoon of stuffing to each leaf
- Spread the stuffing across the leaf leaving 1/2 an inch of space on both edges
- Roll the stuffed leaf forward towards the stuffing, leaving both edges of the roll open.
- Place the roll in a large greased pot
- Repeat the process for the remaining cabbage leaves
Getting rolls ready for cooking:
- Add garlic gloves on top of the rolled cabbages ( You can cut garlic gloves in half)
- Add water, just enough to cover the cabbage rolls
- Thin 3 tbsp tomato paste thinned in one cup of water
- Add 1 tsp salt
- Cover the pot and place over medium heat
- When water comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 45 mins.
- Serve with fresh squeezed lemon juice and enjoy