Lebanese Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
OK, I have to admit… My mom in law makes the best Lebanese stuffed cabbage rolls in the world! This has always been my favorite recipe. And here, I confidently share with you
my mother in law’s my recipe for stuffed cabbage rolls.
Lebanese Stuffed cabbage rolls is a dish made with blanched cabbage leaves, stuffed with seasoned ground beef, tomatoes and rice; Simmered in a rich tomato sauce and topped with garlic cloves.
More Lebanese Recipes
Non- Stuffing Ingredients
- 1 small green cabbage (pick one with tender leaves)
- 1 tbsp salt
- water- for blanching cabbage leaves
- 1 pound lean ground beef- I use 90 % lean
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground all spice
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 cup medium grain rice- soaked, rinsed and drained
- 4 ripe tomatoes- Diced
To prepare cabbage for wrapping:
- Cut the cabbage in half and remove about 25 cabbage leaves. Choose tender leaves to make wrapping easier.
- Blanch the cabbage leaves in boiling salted water for about 8 mins or until tender, but not too soft.
- Drain in a colander and set aside.
To make the stuffing:
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the stuffing ingredients (ground beef, rice, salt, spices, butter, and diced tomatoes).
- Mix thoroughly until fully combined.
The Cabbage Rolling Process:
- Lay each cabbage leaf on a smooth surface. ( I use a cutting board)
- Add about 1-2 tablespoons of stuffing to each leaf, depending on the size.
- Spread the stuffing across the leaf leaving 1/2 an inch of space on both edges.
- Roll the cabbage leaf around the meat mixture, leaving both edges of the roll open.
- Place the roll in a large greased pot.
- Repeat with remaining meat mixture and cabbage leaves.
Getting rolls ready for cooking:
- Add garlic gloves on top of the rolled cabbages. ( You can cut garlic cloves in half or make them into thinner slices)
- Add water, just enough to cover the cabbage rolls.
- Thin tomato paste in 1/2 cup of warm water or add one small can of tomato sauce and top it to cover all the cabbage rolls.
- sprinkle little bit of salt.
- Cover the pot and cook over medium-high heat.
- Bring it to a boil, reduce heat to low and let it simmer for about 45-55 mins or until cabbage is tender and meat is cooked through.
- Serve with fresh squeezed lemon juice and enjoy.
If you’ve tried this healthy Lebanese Stuffed Cabbage Rolls recipe or any other recipe on The Salt and Sweet Kitchen, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram or Facebook.