This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This is the Best Baked Salmon Recipe! Made with olive oil and tangy lemon juice for incredible flavor and baked in the oven for flaky tenderness. This easy weeknight dinner will impress everyone.
The Best Baked Salmon Recipe
Whether you need a quick, healthy, busy night dinner, a simple protein that you can enjoy tonight and eat leftover the next day, or a special occasion meal, this is THE BEST BAKED SALMON Recipe for you!
I really really love salmon and today I’m going to share a super easy oven baked salmon recipe.
The secret to a tasty baked salmon is in the cook-time. Avoid over-cooking so the fillets stay moist. Don’t stay to far from the oven because salmon fillets tend to cook very quickly; 5 to 6 fillets will take about 20 mins to cook.
I have a couple more popular salmon recipes here on Salt & Sweet, from Pan Seared Salmon with Garlic Butter, to Salmon Kabobs, but this baked version is straightforward, super easy, a no-tricks-only-treats Baked Salmon.
I Love this Oven Baked Salmon because it’s:
- Looks fancy
- Tastes incredible
- Perfect for busy nights
Ingredients for Baked Salmon:
Making salmon in oven is simple to put together. Many of the ingredients you’ll already have on hand in your pantry! As with any salmon recipe, the quality of the fish is key. Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
- Salmon Fillets – look for fresh salmon fillets that are nice and pink and moist. Alternatively, purchase frozen fillets that are vacuum sealed and defrost overnight in the fridge.
- Olive Oil – I use extra virgin, but any kind will work. You can also substitute avocado oil.
- Salt – Kosher salt works great; I also love Himalayan pink salt.
- Black Pepper – Freshly cracked is great.
- Lemon – A medium-size lemon. Half is juiced and the other half is cut into slices.
- Herbs – Use your favorite herb, I kept it simple with some chopped parsley. But feel free to use you favorite green. Here are some suggestions: dill, basil, tarragon, sage, rosemary, bay leaves, thyme, cilantro and fennel.
How to Make the Best Baked Salmon:
Baking Salmon in oven is very simple, all you have to do, is brush the fillets with a olive oil and lemon juice and sprinkle with salt and black pepper, place in baking tray, top with the lemon slices before popping them in the oven.
Just remember to cover your tray with foil before baking; the foil locks in moisture and ensures that your salmon pieces are all, moist, tender and cooked evenly.
Tips for Cooking Salmon in the oven:
- Buy good quality salmon, is my top tip to making the best baked salmon.
- Pick the right size fillets so the salmon cooks evenly. Mine were about 6-oz per fillet.
- Bring the salmon to room temperature. Let your salmon filets rest out on the counter for 15-30 minutes, until they come to room temperature. This will also help with even cooking.
- Pat Dry the salmon. Always pat dry the fillets with paper towels before seasoning.
- Do not over cook the salmon. The cooking time can be several minutes longer or shorter depending upon the thickness of your particular piece of salmon.
- Bake until 125°F to 130°F at the thickest point. Measuring with a food thermometer is the best way to assess doneness of a piece of salmon.
- Cover the tray with a foil: The foil locks in moisture and ensures that your beautiful piece of salmon turns out flakey, moist, and tender every single time.
What to Serve with Baked Salmon:
I enjoyed oven baked salmon with air fryer side, Air Fryer Asparagus, Air Fryer French Fries, Air Fryer Carrot Fries, they’re all done so fast for a speedy dinner all around! You can also serve this salmon recipe over this high protein, hearty Quinoa Hummus Bowl.
How to Store Oven Baked Salmon:
Store baked salmon in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Reheat in the microwave for one minute before serving. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months.