This post may contain affiliate links.
These Lebanese Spinach Pies are one of my favorite Lebanese snacks. I could eat them everyday! Spinach pies also known as Fatayer bl Sabanekh in Arabic, is a popular breakfast, side dish or appetizer in Lebanon. Spinach pies make a perfect portable snack, you can pack them in your kid’s lunch box or eat them on the go!
The dough for this fatayer recipe is very easy to prepare. With just 6 ingredients, this dough requires just one bowl with a lid (no stand mixer, though you can use one if you’d like), about 5 of kneading, and about 4 hours to rise.
The Spinach Pies Filling:
The Spinach pies filling is a combination of spinach and onions, seasoned with salt and sumac. Sumac is the basic ingredient to this recipe. You can feel free to experiment with this recipe a bit, for example by adding some feta cheese to the filling if you want.
- Start by cutting onions into wedges.
- Cut spinach into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add onions salt and Sumac spice and mix well.
- Add olive oil and mix some more until the mixture is well incorporated.
How to Make Spinach Pies:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with a lightly greased parchment paper.
- Punch down the dough and form into 12 small balls.
- Arrange on lightly floured surface and sprinkle some flour on top too.
- Cover again with a towel or plastic wrap and leave to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Form the spinach pies by flattening the dough balls on a floured surface into small circles with your fingertips or use a rolling pin (whatever works better for you). They will be about 6 inches in diameter.
- Add about 1-2 tablespoons filling in the center of each circle. Leave a 1 inch border around.
- Pinch together 3 edges of the circle over the center of the filling to form a triangular-shaped pie. Start by pinching two sides of each circle together and bringing the third edge a bit up to the center to close.
- Arrange the stuffed pies in a single layer onto the prepared baking tray, lined with lightly greased parchment paper.
- Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Repeat the process with the remaining circles and the remainder of the dough.
- Let cool, serve and enjoy!
Looking for more Lebanese Pies Recipes
If you make this recipe, then don’t forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #thesaltandsweetkitchen — I would love to see your creations on Instagram and Facebook!