This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These vegetarian parsley, tomato, mint, onion, olive oil, rice and fresh lemon juice Lebanese Stuffed Swiss Chard Rolls make for a delicious and healthy side dish, snack or appetizer.
If you’re a fan of Lebanese vegetarian stuffed grape leaves (or even not), then you have to try this vegan stuffed swiss chard rolls recipe. Stuffed with a herby tomato and rice filling, these large rainbow swiss chard leaves make for a wonderfully nutritious appetizer, lunch or dinner.
What you Need to Make Vegetarian Stuffed Swiss Chard:
Swiss chard leaves
Short grain rice
This year I planted way to much rainbow swiss chard in my garden! In this swiss chard rolls recipe, you can use any kind of swiss chard, look for the one with large leaves. Then save the stems to make this delicious Lebanese Lentil Soup with Vegetables with them. Nothing should go to waste!
Look how pretty though?
How to Make Stuffed Swiss Chard Rolls:
- Start by making the stuffing mixture; In large mixing bowl, combine parsley, mint, tomatoes, onions, rice, salt, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Prepare the swiss chard leaves: cut each swiss chard leaf in half. Depending on the size of the leaf; some need to be cut in half while others can be left as is. Just try to make all the pieces consistent in size. Blanch the leaves in boiling water for few minutes and get rolling!
- Work with one piece of swiss chard leaf at a time, by adding 1- 2 heaping tablespoons of the mixture to the swiss chard leaf; leaving 1 cm gap on each side. Adjust as needed depending on the size of the leaf.
- Roll the swiss chard leaf over the stuffing, like you would roll a burrito.
- Place each rolled swiss chard leaf in the bottom of the saucepan over the potatoes ( you can also add some swiss chard stems) tightly side by side. You will form a few layers.
- Pour any remaining juice from the mixture (you should have plenty), but if not add add extra water until the stuffed rolled swiss chard leaves are almost covered.
- Cover the pot and cook on medium until it starts boiling, then reduce to low heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Squeeze extra lemon juice when serving, if you like.
Stuffed Swiss Chard for Meal Prep:
These vegan stuffed swiss chard rolls are perfect for meal prep! Leftovers keep well for up to 5 days in the fridge. In fact, they taste even better the second and third day. Store in an airtight container and bring to room temperature or warm it in the microwave before eating. These swiss chard rolls are also great because you can stuff and roll the swiss chard leaves ahead of time and cook them before you’re ready to eat. They will keep well for up to 3 days in the fridge pre cooking.
And if you love this recipe, you might be happy to know that this isn’t the only vegan chard recipe on the blog. For more healthy vegan dinner idea, you might like this Vegetarian Lebanese Stuffed Zucchini, Lebanese Red Lentil Soup, Green Beans with Tomatoes, and Mujadara.
If you like this healthy Lebanese Vegan Swiss Chard Stuffed Rolls recipe or any other recipe on The Salt and Sweet Kitchen, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!. You can also join my new Facebook group and be part of the Salt and Sweet growing community 🙂