This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy Lebanese Red Lentil Soup recipe, also known as yellow lentil soup or Shorbet Adas is a must try if you’re looking for a flavorful soup, that’s vegan and protein rich. It’s healthy, hearty and makes for a perfect holiday or weeknight rush dinner. Ready is less than 30 minutes!
Lebanese Red Lentil Soup- Yellow Lentil Soup- Shorbet Adas:
If you ever thought lentils were boring, this one pot Lebanese red lentil soup recipe with cumin, black pepper, short grain rice, shredded carrots and onions will prove you wrong!
This soup is comforting, easy to make, and ready in just 30 minutes.
You can’t ask for much more in life 😉
Lentils is a staple in Lebanese cuisine. I love cooking anything with lentils, especially red or yellow lentils (they both work the same in this recipe) because they cook in about 20 minutes and taste great! They also tend to get a little soft after cooking, making them perfect in soups.
Plus Lentils are a great way to get a wide range of nutrients, and because they are high in protein, lentils is an excellent meat alternative.
A few of my favorite Lebanese lentil recipes on the blog include: Red Lentil Tabouli Salad, Lentil Soup with Pasta, Red Lentil Mujadara, Lebanese Mujadara, Adas b Hamod- Lebanese Lemon Lentil Soup, & Lebanese Lentil Soup with Spinach!
How to Make Lebanese Red Lentil Soup:
This easy red lentil soup is full of Middle Eastern flavors and so so easy to make! Scroll all the way down to recipe card, for exact measurements and a printable option.
Shorbet Adas requires only a handful of ingredients:
Red lentils: The star ingredient here.
Short grain rice- it cooks fast, just like the lentils.
Carrots- Shredded carrots adds texture, color and flavor.
Onion- finely chopped
Middle Eastern Seasonings: A combination of ground cumin and black pepper.
Salt- to taste
Extra Virgin olive oil
Steps by Step:
- In a medium-sized soup pot set over medium heat add olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot add in the diced onion, salt, cumin, black pepper and sauté just until soft.
- Add red lentils, mix well and sauté for another minute or so.
- Pour in about 4-5 cups of water, and bring mixture to a boil.
- Turn down the heat to medium low, add shredded carrots and rice and stir everything together.
- Pop a lid on the pot, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice and lentils are soft.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve with your favorite toast and enjoy!
Here’s why you’ll love this Vegan Lebanese Red Lentil Soup:
Perfect weeknight dinner!
Quick and easy to make
Vegan and plant- based
- Make it with yellow, green or brown lentils. Just keep in mind that you will need to adjust the cooking time since different varieties of lentils cook in different amounts of time.
- Add extra veggies that won’t take time to cook, such as spinach and Swiss chard.
- You can use medium grain rice if short grain rice is not available.
- I have seen some people also add 1 small head of potato to this soup. If you do, cut into small pieces so they cook easily.
How can I store this Lebanese Red lentil Soup?
If you have any lentil soup leftovers, just pop it in the fridge in an airtight container once it has cooled, it will keep for up to 5 days. If the soup seems very thick after being in the fridge overnight you can thin it out with a little bit of water before re heating.
This soup is also freezer friendly; store in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave and add water to thin it out if needed.
What to Serve with Lentil Soup:
Serving this with some sort of warm crusty bread for dunking is not optional. It’s an essential part of the Lentil Soup experience.