Lebanese Chicken Shawarma
This post may contain affiliate links.
This Lebanese Chicken Shawarma is cooked on the stove top and is incredibly flavorful! The secret is in the authentic simple chicken marinade!
Chicken shawarma is one of my absolute favorite Middle Eastern street foods.
What is Shawarma?
Shawarma is a popular Middle Eastern street food that is made with very thin slices of meat, stacked in a cone-like shape, and roasted on a slowly-turning vertical spit. These thin slices of meat are then shaved and served on pita bread wraps. Shawarma can be made with lamb, beef or chicken.
Chicken Shawarma Spices:
Chicken shawarma spices can be found pre-mixed at any Middle Eastern grocery store or online, but is also very simple to make at home. You will need; garlic power, cardamom, black pepper, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, sumac (if available) and salt.
Chicken Shawarma Marinade:
The marinade for this shawarma recipe is made with all the chicken shawarma spices mixed well together with olive oil and apple cider or lemon juice before adding and coating the chicken strips. It is always a good idea to let the chicken marinade for at least an hour and up to 24 hours in the fridge. This will help add flavor and results in the most tender chicken.
How to Make Lebanese Chicken Shawarma:
Although this chicken shawarma recipe is not roasted on a spit like the restaurant style ones, I find that cooking the chicken on the stove top using a non-stick grill pan is a perfect alternative.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the marinade ingredients : olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, cardamom, paprika, cumin, sumac and cinnamon; and whisk well to combine.
- Add the chicken strips into the marinade and stir well until all the chicken are evenly coated with the marinade. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least an hour or up to 24 hours.
- Place your grill skillet or any heavy based pan on medium high heat, add and the chicken in a single layer (make sure not to overcrowd the pan).
- Cook on one side for about 5-8 minutes, using a pair of tongs flip the chicken and cook for another 5-8 minutes or until cooked through.
What do you Eat with Chicken Shawarma:
- The best way to serve chicken shawarma as a street style pita shawarma. We love ours wrapped in a pita bread and a spread of a garlic mayo sauce (I’ve included the recipe below), topped with tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, pickles, and some air fried fries, then toasted on a Penini maker.
To Make the Garlic Mayo Sauce for Homemade Chicken Shawarma:
We prefer garlic mayo as a chicken shawarma sauce, but you can feel free to use Tahini sauce if you’d like.
In a small bowl, add 1 crushed garlic clove, a pinch of salt, add 1 cup of mayo and mix well until combined.
Looking for More Lebanese Dishes:
If you like this easy Lebanese Chicken Shawarma recipe or any other recipe on The Salt and Sweet Kitchen, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! You can also follow and tag me on my Instagram page!