Lebanese Chicken and Rice
Chicken and Rice is a traditional Lebanese dish. I make it on almost every special occasion, from family gatherings to holidays or birthday parties. The rice mixed with pine nuts and the topping of golden almonds adds a lot. On family gatherings, chicken and rice is always placed on the center of the table.
The secret to a good chicken and rice recipe, is to use chicken thighs and legs as they tend to be more moist than chicken breasts. You can always mix it up too! Also, always reserve the chicken broth to use it later when cooking your rice. As for the rice, long grain “Uncle Ben’s” rice works wonderfully in this recipe, because the texture of it is perfect, and you can almost never over cook it.
Serves: 8 people
- 5 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken legs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups long grain rice, washed and drained
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- ½ cup sliced almonds or cashews (or both)
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 4 tsp olive oil ( To make almond topping)
To make the chicken:
- Wash the chicken ( I scrub mine with lemon and white vinegar)* Optional.
- Add the chicken into a large pot.
- Cover with water, about 5 cups.
- Bring water to a rolling boil over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tsp salt or to taste.
- Add cinnamon sticks.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until fully cooked ( about 25 mins ).
- Remove from heat. Remove chicken from broth (it will try to fall apart on you) and let cool in colander.
- Once it is cool, discard bones and skin and shred into medium-sized pieces.
- Strain broth and reserve for cooking the rice.
To make the rice:
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add butter and the pine nuts ( stir constantly until light brown ).
- Add the rice and 1 tsp salt or to taste, the ground cinnamon and all spice and mix for 3 minutes.
- cover rice with 3 cups of the reserved chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is fully cooked ( about 20 mins ).
To make Almond topping:
- Place small pan over medium-low heat.
- Add olive oil.
- Add the Almonds and stir constantly, until golden.
Place the rice mixture on a serving platter and cover with shredded chicken. Top with almonds and sprinkle over some cinnamon.
Serve with a salad of your choice!
Add more chicken broth to the rice and cook longer, if it dries out before the rice if fully cooked.
Bon Appetite 🙂
If you make this, Leave a comment ?