This post may contain affiliate links.
Making Homemade Yogurt may sound difficult, but it’s really not. Homemade yogurt is healthy and tastes so much better than store bought! All you need is two basic ingredients: half a gallon of milk and about half a cup of regular plain, or Greek yogurt. Whole or 2% milk works best for this recipe, the more fat the creamier the, but you can also use skim milk if you’d like. This is my preferred recipe for a perfect homemade yogurt every time.
I have been making yogurt from scratch on the stove top for years now and I don’t think I’ll ever go back. Homemade yogurt is very easy to make, once you get the hang of it. Once you start making your own yogurt, you can use some of each batch to culture your next batch. Super!
How to Make Yogurt from Scratch:
- In a large pot, heat the milk on high and bring to a boil. (to 180°F)
- Let the milk cool down. (to 115°F)
- Add starter culture (yogurt)
- Transfer the pot into a warm spot. (Keep at 115°F)
- Wait for the yogurt to set. (About 8 hours)
- That’s it!
How to Serve Homemade Yogurt:
- Strain your yogurt and turn it into Labneh, enjoy it on a toast or a bagel. Treat it like cream cheese!
- Use in smoothies.
- Top with berries, granola and honey for an indulgent weekend breakfast.
- Swirl in your favorite chopped nuts.
If you’ve tried this Homemade Yogurt recipe or any other recipe on The Salt and Sweet Kitchen, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. You can also join my new Facebook group where you can share a picture of the recipes that you’ve tried or Follow me on Instagram!