Homemade Labneh Dip Recipe
Labneh is a very popular Lebanese yogurt cheese dip. It is basically made out of two ingredients, milk and Greek yogurt. To make Labneh, you first have to make your own yogurt.
Ingredients to make yogurt:
- 1/2 gallon whole milk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
Directions for making yogurt:
- Pour milk into 3 quart pot with lid (don’t cover) and set over high heat- stir occasionally
- Bring milk to boil- stir frequently as the milk starts to heat to make sure the bottom doesn’t scorch and the milk doesn’t boil over.
- Set the milk aside on a thick wrappable blanket or big towel ( Don’t move or disturb the pot until milk turns into yogurt)
- Let the milk cool until it’s just warm to touch prior to adding the Greek yogurt. To determine if the milk is the right temperature you can either use a thermometer (112°F to 115°F), or the time-tested pinkie finger method. Dip your pinkie finger in the warm milk and try to count off 10 seconds. If you can tolerate the heat for 10 second, it’s time to add the yogurt.
- Thin the yogurt with milk by scooping out one cup of warm milk with a measuring cup and adding it to the Greek yogurt. Whisk until smooth and the yogurt is dissolved in the milk.
- Pour the thinned yogurt into the warm milk while whisking gently ( only a few whisks)
- Cover the pot with its lid and wrap the pot with a thick blanket; add another blanket on top too ( to keep the milk warm as it sets – ideally around 110°F)
- Wait for the the yogurt to set for at least 6 hours without touching it. ( I leave mine overnight)
- Mover the yogurt pot to the fridge
- Now you have yogurt!
To make Labneh:
- Line a colander with a linen cloth or several layers of cheese cloth
- Place the lined colander into another bowl. The second bowl severs as a drainage basin. Make sure the colander sits in high in the bowl, leaving space for the drained fluid to collect below the colander.
- Pour the yogurt mixture into the lined colander.
- Cover gently with the overhang of the linen cloth
- Drain for 24 to 48 hours in the fridge.
- To serve, scoop Labneh into a serving a bowl, mix with 1/2 tsp salt or to taste in a bowl and top with extra virgin olive oil.
- Spread on a toast or eat with pita chips and enjoy!
- Store Labneh in an air-tight container in the fridge.
- Always make sure the Labneh is topped with oil before storing.