This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Hummus with Beef recipe is a simple, authentic and popular Lebanese dip. Hummus with beef is a perfect appetizer, side dish or even a low carb meal by itself!
Hummus with Beef
Take your simple hummus dip to another level, top it with a perfectly spiced beef, onion and pine nuts. This Hummus with beef recipe incorporates the Homemade Hummus recipe, I posted a while back.
What you’ll Need to Make Hummus with Meat:
- Tahini Paste
- Cooked chickpeas can- rinsed and drained
- Lemon juice
- Garlic clove- minced
- Cold water plus ice cubes
- Salt- to taste
- Thin- cut beef steak
- Onion- minced
- Olive oil
- Middle Eastern spices- cinnamon, all spice( or 7 spice), black pepper.
For pine nuts
- Olive oil
- Pine nuts
How to Make Hummus with Beef:
Start by making your hummus:
- In your food processor, pulse rinsed chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, salt and garlic until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the food processor with a rubber spoon ,then pulse a little bit more, until smooth and creamy- about 1-2 minutes.
- Add about 5 tablespoons of cold water and a couple cubes of ice and pulse some more, until reaching your desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning: extra pinch of salt or a little extra lemon juice.
- Transfer hummus mixture to a serving plate and spread evenly.
Prepare the Hashweh for Hummus:
In a medium size pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and cook the diced onions until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the diced beef pieces, salt and spices and cook until the beef is browned, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Roast the Pine Nuts:
While the beef is cooking, in a small skillet, add olive oil, and pine nuts over medium low heat and cook for few minutes, until pine nuts are golden.
Assemble your Hummus with Meat:
- Top your hummus spread platter with the warm beef mixture.
- Sprinkle with roasted pine nuts, pomegranate seeds, or garnish with chopped parsley, if you’d like.
- For fluffy hummus, add ice cube to the food processor. Sounds crazy right? The ice cubes help in whipping the hummus into a creamier texture.
- For super creamy hummus, use a small food processor or a even better, a smoothie blender. I use my Ninja mega food processor and love.
- Don’t rush it! Let the food processor run for 4 to 5 minutes. Run the food processor for a few minutes so the hummus mixture will blend well enough to a smooth texture.
- Serve the hummus with warm beef mixture. Serve hummus at room temperature, but make sure to have the beef mixture is warm before topping your hummus.
- You can use ground beef instead of thin cut beef steak, if you’d like. However, I think that these thinly small pieces of meat, taste a lot better.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can you freeze hummus?
Hummus freezes really well, I always make a big batch!
For this Hummus with meat recipe, I prefer to freeze beef separate from the hummus though. Also place cooked ground beef in an air tight container. It will keep well for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the fridge before serving.
Can you make it ahead of time?
Homemade hummus will keep for about a week covered in the fridge. You can make the seasoned ground beef ahead of time and store it separately for 3 days. When ready to serve, warm your beef and spread over hummus.
Can you make this vegan?
You can make this dish vegan by using plant based meat crumbles instead of thin-cut steak beef.
How to Store Hummus with Beef:
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.