Fattet Hummus- Fatteh
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you’re looking for a healthy and easy to make vegetarian meal that will still fill you up and leave you feeling satisfied, look no further. This Lebanese Fattet Hummus recipe is just what you need.
In this simple Middle Eastern Fattet Hummus Recipe, toasted pita bread is topped with cooked chickpeas and a tangy creamy yogurt sauce, then garnished with fried slivered almonds, or pine nuts and parsley.
Lebanese Fatteh, also a poular dish around many Middle Eastern cultures, is usually served for breakfast or brunch, but could also make for a prefect light lunch/dinner or a vegetarian side dish. You can feel free to use any plant-based yogurt to make this recipe vegan.
What is Fatteh?
The word “Fatteh” translates to “crumbs” in the Arabic language. In Fatteh, bread is toasted or fried and then broken up into small pieces, and that’s where the word Fatteh comes from – at least that’s what I think. There are many different versions to Lebanese Fatteh, including this eggplant chickpea Fatteh.
What You’ll Need to Make Fattet Hummus:
This easy Lebanese chickpeas salad with yogurt uses just a few basic ingredients and comes together in just 15 minutes.
(Exact measurements at the end of this post)
Chickpeas: If you are using dried chickpeas ( you’ll need 3/4 of a cup)- soak them overnight and then cook them until fork-tender the next day. If you’re using canned chickpeas (you’ll need 1 small can), drain and wash under running water to reduce the brine taste.
Pita Bread: Toasted to perfection in the oven or in an air fryer.
Plain Greek Yogurt: I like to use a low-fat variety, the little bit of fat adds a nice richness.
Salt: To taste
Olive oil: For frying the nuts.
Nuts: Shallow fried.
How to Make Lebanese Fattet Hummus Recipe:
- Prepare the chickpeas: wash and rinse your can of chickpeas and set aside.
- Prepare pita bread:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Using scissors, cut a loaf of pita bread into bite size squares. Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Prepare yogurt sauce:
- In a small bowl, add crushed garlic, salt, whole plain yogurt and a few tablespoons of warm water.
- Whisk well until they become creamy.
- Prepare almonds:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat olive and add slivered almonds.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown, mixing frequently.
- Layer your Fatteh in a large serving plate:
- Start with a layer of toasted pita bread pieces.
- Add a layer of chickpeas.
- Top with a layer of the garlic yogurt sauce.
- Add the fried slivered almonds.
- Garnish with parsley if you’d like.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
How to Serve Fattet Hummus bil laban:
Chickpea Fatteh is best served right away, because the toasted pita bread tends to get soggy when mixed with the yogurt sauce. However, if you like to make it ahead of time, you can. Layer everything together except the toasted pita bread, and just add it on top of your plate when you’re ready to eat.
Can I Make Vegan Lebanese Fatteh Recipe?
Yes! Substitute for vegan yogurt; use a natural-flavored unsweetened yogurt for the dressing
This fattet hummus bil laban is really very easy to make, packs a ton of fresh flavor and is very healthy and nutrient-rich, and is also a great source of plant-based protein.