Chocolate Dipped Heart Cookies
This post may contain affiliate links.
Chocolate Dipped Heart Cookies are made with a simple cut out sugar cookie, dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with Valentine’s mix sprinkles. These heart shaped shortbread cookies are the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert and a fun snack that is great for classroom parties or for packaging up and giving as gifts!
You may be wondering why I am sharing a Valentine’s day cookies recipe and it is not even February yet. Apparently, to be a good blogger, I have to share holiday recipes months in advance to give the post a better chance of being seen by more people. I don’t want you think that I have my life so well put together that I’m already planning Valentine’s Day.
What you Need to Make these heart cookies:
(Full ingredients with quantities in recipe card below)
- Lemon zest
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Butter: at room temperature
- Heart shape cookie cutter
- Valentines sprinkle mix
- Chocolate chips
- Vegetable oil
The Cookie Base in these Chocolate Dipped Heart Cookies
It’s easy to make, rolls out smoothly, holds its shape perfectly and does not spread while baking. It is delicious plain, but dipping in chocolate makes them irresistible.
How to Make Chocolate Dipped shortbread Cookies:
( Full recipe with quantities in recipe card below)
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, lemon zest and vanilla very well.
- Add sugar and whisk some more.
- Add softened butter, flour and baking powder and fold until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough with your hands. I mix just until dough feels smooth and no longer sticks to my hands (if after mixing, the dough is still too sticky for you, sprinkle a tiny bit of flour and mix some more).
- Shape the the dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and generously grease a baking sheet with baking spray and set aside.
- Remove dough from fridge, roll on a lightly floured flat surface to desired thickness (mine were about 1/4 inch thick), cut out cookies using a heart shaped cookie cutter.
- Place cookies on prepared greased baking tray.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of your cookies. Remove from oven when slightly brown on the edges. These cookies are pale in color.
Allow the cookies to cool completely before dipping in chocolate.
- Melt chocolate chips (or chocolate of your choice) in a microwave safe bowl at 15 second increments, stirring in between, until smooth (mine took 1.5 minutes to melt in the microwave).
Once chocolate is melted, line a cookie sheet with wax paper and, firmly holding onto one side of each cookie, dip the other half side into the chocolate.
Immediately after dipping, place on wax paper lined cookie sheet (chocolate side up) and immediately sprinkle with sprinkles. Repeat, until all cookies are dipped with chocolate.
Allow chocolate to harden before serving.
More Chocolate Related Recipes?
Instagram with #thesaltandsweetkitchen, so we can all see!If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a picture and share it on