Loubie Bzeit- Braised Green Beans
This post may contain affiliate links.
Loubie Bzeit, is the simplest, most delicious vegetarian dish and the best way to eat green beans! These Italian green beans are sautéed in olive oil, onions and garlic and with braised with tomato sauce until tender.
Loubie Bzeit (Loubieh bi zeit, loubyeh bzeit, Loubia or loubya) is a traditional Lebanese dish that is vegan and gluten free. “Loubieh Bzeit” in English translates to “green beans in oil”. If your looking for the non-meatless version of this recipe, here you go: Lebanese Beef and Green Bean Stew.
Ingredients to Make Loubie Bzeit:
(FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
Green beans- Italian green beans also known as flat or Roma green beans, are typically used for this recipe. However, these are not always found easily in the US. A great alternative, is string green beans. Both frozen or fresh work just fine! Frozen green beans come already cut into bite size pieces, but if you use fresh green beans, you will need to trim off the stalk tip and then snap (or cut) the beans into bite-sized pieces. I usually snap each green bean into 2-3 pieces.
How to Make Loubie Bzeit- Lebanese Beans with Tomatoes
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté onion and salt until soft but not browned (about 7-10 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, mix and cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in green beans, add 1/2 cup of water, cover the pot and sauté for 20 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato paste (dissolved in another half a cup of water)- stir well, cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally until beans are fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool down.
- Serve with pita bread, hot or cold- It tastes even better the next day too!
What can I Serve Lebanese Loubie?
How to Store Lebanese Loubieh Bzeit?
Braised green beans can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Looking for more Lebanese vegetarian dishes? Here are some:
If you like this healthy vegetarian Lebanese Green Beans with Tomatoes recipe or any other recipe on The Salt and Sweet Kitchen, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! You can also follow and tag me on my Instagram page!