Kibbeh bl Sineyeh (Baked Kibbeh)
This post may contain affiliate links.
Kibbeh bl sineyeh is made with a layer of cooked spiced ground beef and nuts, spread between two layers of fine kibbeh. Kibbeh ground beef needs to be very lean and thoroughly minced. In the meat department at your local grocery store, ask for kibbeh ground beef or double minced 100% lean beef.
What is Kibbeh?
kibbeh is made with a combination of very lean ground beef, extra fine bulgur wheat, pureed onions, a mix of spices and basil. Raw Kibbeh is popular in Lebanon, also known as kibbeh nayyeh. My family and I are not big fans of raw kibbeh, so I make this kibbeh bl sineyeh version, which is basically a baked version of kibbeh nayyeh and serve it with salad and yogurt.
How to Make Kibbeh bl Sineyeh:
- First start by soak the extra fine bulgur in water for half an hour and let it drain very well. The bulgur needs to be very dry when used, so it is better to plan on soaking it and letting it dry ahead of time. Give yourself at least a few hours to let the bulgur fully dry, alternatively soak and dry the night before.
- Next, get your pine nuts ready. In a small frying pan over low heat and add 3 tbs olive oil and the pine nuts. Fry until golden, constantly stirring to avoid burning on one side. And set aside. Pine nuts is optional.
Make the kibbeh filling:
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add the chopped onions and salt- cook until wilted stirring frequently (around 10 mins).
- Add the ground beef and spices and mix with the cooked onion- constantly stir to break up the clumps of meat.
- Cook until meat is browned, then lower heat to medium- low and let cook for another 10 mins.
- Fold the fried pine nuts to the meat mixture if you are using some, then add the walnuts and pomegranate molasses and mix well. cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Set the beef filling aside.
Make the kibbeh:
- In a food processor, add the onion, basil, salt and spices and process until pureed.
- Add the Lean kibbeh ground beef a little bit at a time- continue processing until meat is blended well with onions.
- Add dried bulgur a little bit at a time and process very well until you have a smooth emulsified paste.
To prepare Kibbeh for baking:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly spray a large rectangular tray (11 x 8) or a 14 inch diameter round baking tray.
- Divide kibbeh mixture into two even halves. Each half will make a layer.
- Moisten your hands and spread the first layer of kibbeh by flattening it across the tray to form a smooth layer.
- Add a layer of the prepared filling mixture- spread it across the kibbeh layer and press it down with a spoon.
- Add the last and top layer of the other half of kibbeh mixture, also by flattening it until forming a smooth layer.
- Using a butter knife, lightly mark the top layer forming a diamond or grid pattern (or any pattern that you like). Be sure not to press the knife deeply into the layers of kibbeh.
- Brush with the olive oil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.