Kibbeh Bil Sanieh-Baked Kibbeh
This post may contain affiliate links.
Kibbeh Bil Sanieh translates to “kibbeh in a tray” in Arabic. Kibbeh is often served baked, raw or deep fried in Lebanese cuisine. This recipe is the baked kibbeh version; made with a layer of cooked spiced ground beef and nuts, spread between two layers of fine uncooked kibbeh mixture, then baked to perfection.
Kibbeh bil Sanieh is Lebanese comfort food at its best. Baked Kibbeh is perfect for meal prep, it freezes wonderfully so make a big batch and freeze the rest in portions.
What is Kibbeh?
kibbeh is made with a combination of very lean ground beef, extra fine bulgur wheat, pureed onions, a mix of Middle Eastern spices and basil. Kibbeh ground beef needs to be very lean and thoroughly minced. In the meat department at your local grocery store, ask for kibbeh ground beef or double minced 95-100% lean beef.
How to Make Baked Kibbeh- Kibbeh bil Sanieh :
- First start by soaking the extra fine bulgur for a few minutes, let it dry as much as possible before using it. The bulgur needs to be very dry when used, so it is better to plan rinsing it and letting it dry ahead of time.
Make the kibbeh filling (Hashweh mixture):
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add the chopped onions and salt- cook until wilted stirring frequently (around 10 mins).
- Add the ground beef and spices and mix with the cooked onion- constantly stir to break up the clumps of meat.
- Cook until meat is browned, then lower heat to medium- low and cook for another 10 mins.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts ( some also add toasted pine nuts) and pomegranate molasses and mix well. cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Make the kibbeh mixture:
- In a food processor, add the onion, basil, salt and spices and process until pureed.
- Add the Lean kibbeh ground beef a little bit at a time- continue processing until meat is blended well with onions.
- Add soaked and dried bulgur a little bit at a time and process very well until you have a smooth emulsified paste.
- Remove kibbeh mixture from the food processor.
To prepare Kibbeh bil saneih for baking:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly spray a large rectangular tray (11 x 8).
- Divide kibbeh mixture into two even halves. Each half will make a layer.
- Moisten your hands with little water and spread the first layer of kibbeh by flattening it across the tray to form a smooth layer.
- Add a layer of the prepared filling mixture (Hashweh)- spread it across the kibbeh layer and press it down with a spoon.
- Add the last and top layer of the other half of kibbeh mixture, also by flattening it until forming a smooth layer.
- Using a butter knife, lightly mark the top layer forming a diamond or grid pattern (or any pattern that you like). Be sure not to press the knife deeply into the layers of kibbeh.
- Brush with the olive oil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
If you like this Lebanese Baked Kibbeh recipe or any other recipe on The Salt and Sweet Kitchen, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!