This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies- chocolate chip cookies covered in bright and colorful mini M&M’s. These cookies are perfect for birthdays, parties, or any day! But today we specifically baked these festive looking cookies for Santa! Ho Ho Ho.
M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
These M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies are everything a chocolate chip cookie should be- soft, chewy and delicious! The mini M&M’s are such a fun addition and add the perfect celebratory touch.
M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients:
- M&M’s– For this recipe, I like to use mini M&M’s, I used basic colors because that’s what I had on hand. But holiday M&M’s are so cool too!
- Chocolate Chips- I used semi-sweet Mega Chunk to get large puddles of chocolate.
- Butter- Cut butter into pieces and melt on stove top or in the microwave. Let it completely cool down before adding to the cookie dough. Melted butter makes for a chewer cookie. YUM!
- Flour- 2 cups of all purpose flour only, is what makes these cookies soft and chewy.
- Sugars- 50/50 both brown and white sugar.
- Egg- 2 eggs at room temperature.
- Vanilla extract– Make sure to use vanilla extract and not essence which is synthetic.
- Baking powder
- Baking Soda
How to Make Mini M&M Cookies:
I basically whip up the chocolate chip cookie dough and stir in lots of colorful mini M&M’s. It’s that easy! I also roll each cookie dough ball in more M&M’s before putting them in the oven to make sure there are LOTS of M&M’s.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients (except sugars) and set aside.
- In another bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and both sugars on medium-speed for about 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl as needed.
- Add in the vanilla and beat smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture, beating until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and mini M&M’s.
- Form the cookie dough into balls, about 1-2 tablespoons of dough. Roll the cookies in the remaining M&M’s, covering the entire cookie dough ball. I usually let my kids do this part:)
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 9 minutes, until the edges look cooked but the middles are still slightly under cooked.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies rest for at least 10-15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Tips for Making the Best M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Measure the Flour Correctly:
The most important part of this recipe is measuring your flour correctly! Flour consistency is what makes these cookies ultra thin and flat. You will only need 2 cups of all purpose flour, be sure to use a measuring cup made for dry ingredients, not the glass Pyrex one. The scoop and level method works great for me when measuring my flour, but you can also use the spoon and level method if you prefer. First, I fluff the flour in the container, scoop it out with a measuring cup, then level it with the a butter knife to get rid of excess flour on top of the measuring cup.
Do not ever grease your cookie sheets:
Over greasing will make the cookies spread and change texture.
Use a cookie scoop:
A cookie scoop will ensure the cookies are all the same size.
Don’t over bake!
Mine were done at 9 minutes. When you take the baked cookies out of the oven, If they look slightly browned on the edges and under done in the middle, then you’re on the track. As hard as it may be not to try these cookies, you have to be patient and let them rest for about 10-15 minutes after removing them from the oven. The additional rest time will allow the under done middle of the cookie to set up.
You can make these chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar, if you’d like.
How to Store M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Store leftover cookies in an airtight container for 4 days room temperature. Place in the microwave for a few seconds before serving, if you’d like. You can also freeze these cookies for up to a month.
If you want to freeze the cookie dough, roll the cookies into balls and place them on a baking sheet. Freeze for 30 minutes or until the cookies are solid. Transfer the cookie dough balls to a freezer bag or container and freeze for up to 2 months.
When ready to bake, remove from the freezer, place on a baking sheet, and bake! You don’t have to defrost the cookie dough, just add a few additional minutes to the baking time.