Date Roll Cookies
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I love to make these Date Roll Cookies because they are fun to prepare and full of naturally sweet dates. So, if you are looking for desserts with dates, then you will love this simple Middle Eastern inspired date cookies recipe. I guarantee your family will be gobbling them up in no time!
Lebanese Date Cookies
I copied this Lebanese date roll cookies recipe from my mom’s old recipe book. These cookies are one of the many cookies she would make all year round. I made a batch of these cookies today! It’s funny how the taste of something can evoke such strong memories. They were absolutely delicious and I’m so thankful my mom kept a diary for all her amazing Lebanese recipes!
Date Filling for these Rolled Date Cookies Recipe:
I find it convenient to use store bought date paste for stuffing these date filled cookies because it saves so much time. You can find date paste at your local Middle Eastern grocery store. You can also make you’re own homemade date paste.
How to Make Homemade Date Paste:
In the bowl of your food processor fitted with an “S” blade, combine 1 pound of Mejdool pitted dates and 3 tablespoons of water. You can replace water with rose water for extra flavor.
Process until very smooth, scraping down the bowl to make sure all of the dates are incorporated.
- You add in some crushed nuts such as walnuts or almonds and pulse some more, if the date mixture did not hold its shape.
What You Need to Make Lebanese Date Filled Cookies:
Table cream: which a little lighter than heavy cream and thicker in texture. I find it at target.
Unsalted butter – at room temperature
All purpose flour
Sugar: little sugar for the dough, cause these cookies are naturally sweetened with dates.
How to Make Date Filled Cookies:
- Grease a a baking sheet with baking/cooking spray and set aside.
- Prepare the dates: Take about one teaspoon of the date paste, shape into a ball then roll it into a long rope. Repeat for the rest of your date mixture. You want it to to be a little shorter than the diameter of the round dough. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured counter top or your working area, roll the dough until thin about 1/4 an inch or less thick.
- Use a 3 inch diameter circle cutter to cut out the dough into circles (I use a water glass cup).
- Add the rolled date paste into the center of each round cut dough.
- Roll into a cylinder shape.
- Place the date rolls on your prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 15-20 mins or until bottom of cookies are golden.
- Allow to cool then serve and enjoy!
More Lebanese Dessert Recipes:
If you make this easy Lebanese date Roll Cookies Recipe or any other recipe on the Salt and Sweet Kitchen, the don’t forget to rate and leave me a review below. I would love to know how it turned out for you!