Sfouf- Lebanese Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This vibrant yellow Lebanese turmeric cake- sfouf is easy to make. It is also egg- free, butter- free and made in one bowl! Sfouf cake has a subtle earthy flavor and tastes as good as it looks.
Turmeric Cake- Sfouf
People have given sfouf many pronunciations; Lebanese cake, turmeric cake, sfuf, semolina cake or yellow cake, but all these names do not do it justice! You will love this golden cake, it’s also a great way to get more healthy turmeric into your diet.
This delicious Lebanese sfuf or Sfouf recipe is so easy to make, colorful, and absolutely delicious, too. It is a no mixer required recipe that uses a handful of accessible ingredients and gives you the perfect tea cake.
If you’ve found yourself with a bunch of turmeric and wondering what to do with it, why not make this Lebanese Sfouf cake?
You can find the full printable recipe including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this turmeric cake recipe perfect every time.
Turmeric: The turmeric not only adds the beautiful color, but also a subtle earthy taste.
Semolina flour: This is a coarse purified wheat that’s usually used to make pasta.
Baking spray: To avoid the cake from sticking to the baking dish. Some spread about 1 tablespoon of tahini paste to the bottom of the pan instead. I personally do not like the taste of Tahini paste in this recipe so I avoid it, but you can also give that a try!
All purpose flour. Half a cup.
Milk. Plant based milk, or water works if your following a vegan diet. I start with one cup, and add a little more if needed.
How to Make Sfouf – Lebanese Turmeric Cake Recipe:
(Full recipe with quantities in recipe card below)
- Whisk dry ingredients together.
- Add in wet ingredients and whisk some until well combined.
- Pour into a baking pan and top with nuts.
- Let cool completely.
- Make yourself a cup of coffee or tea and, cut into squares like I did or diamond shape pieces and dig in this beautifully colored simple turmeric cake. You’ll love how delicious and light this Lebanese cake is and how easy and simple to make!
Frequently asked Questions:
- Can you make sfouf without semolina? I personally have never tried Sfouf without semolina, you probably would not get the same nutty texture. I’d be happy to know how it turns out if you decide to try!
- Where do I find semolina flour? You can find it at any Middle Eastern market, Amazon, supermarkets, Walmart or target.
- Can you make vegan sfouf? YES! since this Lebanese cake is egg-free and butter-free, it is easy to make it vegan. Simply use any plant-based milk or just plain water will do the job as well.
- Can I leave out the turmeric? Yes! it won’t be sfouf anymore though 🙂 But try it before you knock it, you’ll barely taste the turmeric and the color is gorgeous (plus turmeric is so good for you!)
- How to serve this Lebanese turmeric cake? Have it either warm or at room temperature, both are delicious. Definitely have a cup of tea or coffee on the side, or milk for the kids!
- How long this Lebanese turmeric cake recipe Keep? Up to five days tightly wrapped or stored in a air tight container at room temperature.
- Sfouf Calories: 130 calories per bar!
Why you should try to make this sfouf recipe?
- They are Vegan
- They are moist
- They are so easy to make
- Turmeric gives this Lebanese cake both a beautiful, vibrant color and an anti-inflammatory boost.
- They are a crowd-pleaser, just leave them on your kitchen’s countertop and they will disappear in no time
- Kid friendly- pack them in lunch boxes