Sfouf- Lebanese Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This vibrant yellow Lebanese turmeric cake- sfouf is easy to make. It is also egg- free, butter- free and made in one bowl! Sfouf cake has a subtle earthy flavor and tastes as good as it looks.
Turmeric Cake- Sfouf
People have given sfouf many pronunciations; Lebanese cake, turmeric cake, sfuf, semolina cake or yellow cake, but all these names do not do it justice! You will love this golden cake, it’s also a great way to get more healthy turmeric into your diet.
This delicious Lebanese sfuf or Sfouf recipe is so easy to make, colorful, and absolutely delicious, too. It is a no mixer required recipe that uses a handful of accessible ingredients and gives you the perfect tea cake.
If you’ve found yourself with a bunch of turmeric and wondering what to do with it, why not make this Lebanese Sfouf cake?
You can find the full printable recipe including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this turmeric cake recipe perfect every time.
Turmeric: The turmeric not only adds the beautiful color, but also a subtle earthy taste.
Semolina flour: This is a coarse purified wheat that’s usually used to make pasta.
Baking spray: To avoid the cake from sticking to the baking dish. Some spread about 1 tablespoon of tahini paste to the bottom of the pan instead. I personally do not like the taste of Tahini paste in this recipe so I avoid it, but you can also give that a try!
All purpose flour. Half a cup.
Milk. Plant based milk, or water works if your following a vegan diet. I start with one cup, and add a little more if needed.
How to Make Sfouf – Lebanese Turmeric Cake Recipe:
(Full recipe with quantities in recipe card below)
- Whisk dry ingredients together.
- Add in wet ingredients and whisk some until well combined.
- Pour into a baking pan and top with nuts.
- Let cool completely.
- Make yourself a cup of coffee or tea and, cut into squares like I did or diamond shape pieces and dig in this beautifully colored simple turmeric cake. You’ll love how delicious and light this Lebanese cake is and how easy and simple to make!
Frequently asked Questions:
- Can you make sfouf without semolina? I personally have never tried Sfouf without semolina, you probably would not get the same nutty texture. I’d be happy to know how it turns out if you decide to try!
- Where do I find semolina flour? You can find it at any Middle Eastern market, Amazon, supermarkets, Walmart or target.
- Can you make vegan sfouf? YES! since this Lebanese cake is egg-free and butter-free, it is easy to make it vegan. Simply use any plant-based milk or just plain water will do the job as well.
- Can I leave out the turmeric? Yes! it won’t be sfouf anymore though 🙂 But try it before you knock it, you’ll barely taste the turmeric and the color is gorgeous (plus turmeric is so good for you!)
- How to serve this Lebanese turmeric cake? Have it either warm or at room temperature, both are delicious. Definitely have a cup of tea or coffee on the side, or milk for the kids!
- How long this Lebanese turmeric cake recipe Keep? Up to five days tightly wrapped or stored in a air tight container at room temperature.
- Sfouf Calories: 130 calories per bar!
Why you should try to make this sfouf recipe?
- They are Vegan
- They are moist
- They are so easy to make
- Turmeric gives this Lebanese cake both a beautiful, vibrant color and an anti-inflammatory boost.
- They are a crowd-pleaser, just leave them on your kitchen’s countertop and they will disappear in no time
- Kid friendly- pack them in lunch boxes
I made this sfouf recipe, but topped it with sesame seeds instead! It was so so delicious! Gone in less than 2 days! Sfouf has always been one of my favorite Lebanese sweets, so glad i found the perfect recipe!
Yes! Sfouf is my favorite too!
Hi! Have you made sfouf with olive oil?
I have not, actually. Sorry!
First I must say, The Salt and Sweet Kitchen recipes are simply amazing, the images are so well taken and super appealing. I want to try all your recipes! And this Lebanese Cake is over the top! I love that no mixer is needed, it’s vegan and contains healthy turmeric. Thank you for the recipe! Love, xx
Aww that’s so lovely! Thank you, thank you! I love Sfouf cake too!
I love recipes that include healthy turmeric in them! I have never tried it in sweets until today. I can’t recommend this this sfouf cake enough! Healthy, vegan, not too sweet. The perfect treat with coffee.
I can’t agree more! Sfouf is the best!
Great recipe, my wife enjoyed it as it reminded her of Lebanon.
Aww so glad to hear that 🙂
Man this cake is good original and has a Authentic taste to it
Isn’t amazing! 🙂 Glad you enjoyed it!
The best Sfouf recipe I’ve ever made! All your recipes are so easy to follow!
Aww so glad you loved my sfouf!
My go to sfouf recipe! Thank you for sharing xx
Love this sfouf recipe!
Yay! Sfouf is the best! 🙂
Aww that’s so sweet! Thank you for trying my sfouf recipe!
I really want to try out this recipe. I’m not a fan of turmeric. Can I make it without?
Hello Anna, you can leave out the turmeric, however this Lebanese cake won’t be the same. I use only 1 tablespoon of turmeric in my sfouf recipe, so you will barely notice the taste. I suggest you give it a go! 🙂
The only sfouf recipe I use! Love that this cake is healthy and vegan.
Yay! Thank you for trying my Sfouf and for leaving a comment as well 🙂
By far, the best sfouf I made! I followed the recipe step by step and it was so simple and delicious!
Thank you Salwa for leaving a comment! So glad you enjoyed my sfouf recipe!
I am a sfouf lover and I can tell a good sfouf from how they look; and the ones you made and pictured look super good and I bet they are super delicious!
Thanks for sharing the recipe 🙂
I am a sfouf lover too!!! Must run in the family 😉 Thank you for leaving a comment!
Oh sfouf!! My favorite easy and fast dessert! I like it with milk, tea or coffee. It works with all. Light, fluffy and tasty!!! Thanks for the instructions. It made it a lot easier!
Thank you Samar for the sweet comment! Sfouf is a family favorite in my house!
This sfouf recipe is one of the very first recipes I have prepared from Rose’s website!
Easy to find ingredients, easy to prepare and tastes sooo good.
Everytime i prepare this saltandsweetkitchen sfouf, it doesnt last 24 hours in our house!! Yummy!
Thank you Rawan for trying my Sfouf recipe! Glad you enjoyed it 🙂
The Best sfouf recipe!
Yay! Sfouf is seriously the best!
Making this now! My kitchen smells delicious 🙂
Ohhhh yum! I hope you love my sfouf recipe!
The Best sfouf recipe! And I’ve tried alot of other recipes! Thank you! Thank you!
Aww thank you, Adele! So glad you’ve been enjoying my sfouf recipe! It’s a favorite in my house as well 🙂
Made this tonight, it was exceptionally delicious. I highly recommend you give this sfouf recipe by the salt and sweet kitchen a try!
Thank you for trying my Sfouf recipe, so glad your enjoyed it 🙂
Hi, this sfouf recipe looks so good. Where do you buy Semolina? Thank you!
Thank you so much, glad you like my sfouf recipe 🙂 I buy semolina from a near by Middle Eastern store. But you can also find it at Walmart or any grocery store if you live in the US. I love Bobs red mill semolina flour. Hope this helps!