Olive and Cheese Stuffed Bread
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Olive and Cheese Stuffed Bread is made of small buns stuffed with mozzarella cheese and olives and is sure to be a hit!
This Olive and Cheese stuffed Bread buns is a popular breakfast in Lebanon. It is known as “Khaliat el Nahal” in Arabic which translates to “beehive” in English. It is made out of connected mini buns, each bun is stuffed with mozzarella cheese and one pitted olive. These mini buns are then placed on a round baking pan as close to each other as possible and baked to perfection.
For this recipe, I used shredded mozzarella cheese because I that’s what I had on hand, but you can also cut out about 30 small pieces of mozzarella sticks to stuff your little buns. This will be a lot easier.
What you Need to Make Olive and Cheese Stuffed Bread
(Scroll down for exact quantities and a printable option.)
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Instant yeast
- Vegetable oil
- Black olives
- Egg white- for brushing
- Roasted sesame seeds- for garnishing
Step by Step to Shaping the Olive and Cheese Stuffed Buns:
- Punch down the dough.
- Cut out about 30 small pieces of dough and arrange on a lightly floured surface.
- Using the palm of your hand flatten each individual dough.
- Fill each piece of dough with about 1 teaspoon of shredded cheese.
- Add one pitted olive.
- Pull up the sides of the stuffed rolled out dough and wrap around the filling, pinching it to close at the top. Using your palms roll out into smooth balls.
- Generously grease a 10 inch round baking pan.
- Arrange the stuffed balls on the greased pan as close to each other as possible. (It will look like a beehive).
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white and brush the top of the arranged stuffed buns.
- Sprinkle with some roasted sesame seeds.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden brown.