Mahalabia- Lebanese Milk Pudding
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This simple Lebanese Milk Pudding, aka Mahalabia is so easy and quick to make! With only 4 ingredients and 15 minutes of your time, you can make a sweet treat! Garnish with your favorite crushed nuts and serve it for dessert, breakfast or snack! Mahalabia is a great Lebanese gluten-free dessert idea!
What is Mahalabia Pudding?
Mahalabia, also known as Muhallebi, Muhalabia, Mhalabia, Mahalebi, Mohallabiah, Mahalabiya or Muhallabiyeh is a popular Middle Eastern milk pudding made with milk, corn flour, sugar, and flavored with rose water.
Ingredients for this Lebanese Mahalabia Recipe:
(Scroll all the way down to recipe card, for exact measurements)
The basic ingredient, some people also use a mix of milk and half and half for a richer taste. You can also make vegan muhalabia by substituting whole milk with your choice of any plant-based milk.
Cream of Rice:
Works as a thickener in this recipe, and can be substituted for corn starch, I prefer cream of rice.
What gives this recipe the extra sweetness.
This is usually added at the end for extra.
Garnish with your favorite crushed nuts, I prefer pistachios.
Corn Starch or Rice Flour in Mhalabia:
This Middle Eastern milk pudding can be made two ways; you can either make it using corn starch or rice flour, based on your preference. The difference is in the texture: Corn starch will yield a smooth consistency, while rice flour will have a coarser texture. I personally prefer it with rice flour. However, authentic Middle Eastern Mahalabia is made with corn starch.
How to Make Mahalabia:
This simple Arabic milk pudding is just 4 ingredients. It has a silky, creamy texture and tastes like ice cream in pudding form. Here is how you make it:
- In a non-stick medium size pot, over medium heat, add whole milk, cream of rice, and sugar. Whisk well until dissolved.
- Bring mixture to a boil, whisking continuously to avoid mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Lower heat to low and cook for additional 10 minutes or until mixture thickness, whisking regularly .
- Remove from heat, stir in rose water.
- Transfer mixture to serving bowls immediately.
- Let it cool at room temperature before serving.
- Garnish with crushed pistachios before serving and enjoy!
How to Serve Mahalabia (muhallabi):
- Swirl in your favorite chopped nuts, I used pistachios.
- Top with berries, granola and honey for an indulgent weekend breakfast.
- Grated Chocolate!
How to Store this Middle Eastern Milk Pudding :
Store Lebanese mahalabia pudding in small bowls or small mason jars in the fridge, cover with plastic wrap or mason jars lids and store for up to 5 days in the fridge. Add toppings, if using before serving.