This post may contain affiliate links.
Air-Fried Falafel are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and packed with delicious flavor! Stuff them in pita bread and top with tomatoes, parsley and a drizzle of Tahini sauce and there you have it; a vegan, healthy and easy to make meal! Falafel and Tahini sauce is one of those amazing flavor pairings.
What is Falafel?
Falafel is popular Middle Eastern street food, made with deep-fried ground chickpea balls or patties. Falafel is commonly served in a pita pocket or wrapped in a flatbread, topped with some herbs, veggies and tahini sauce.
These Air-Fried Falafel balls are a lightened up version of the traditional Lebanese falafel that is deep fried! Instead of deep frying them in oil, we bake them in the Air Fryer where they crisp up to golden brown perfection. This Air Fryer was best additions to my kitchen!
Air-Fried Falafel Ingredients:
Basic Steps to Make Air-Fried Falafel:
- Soak. Plan ahead and soak dry chickpeas in water overnight.
- Process. Using a food processor, pulse soaked chickpeas with onion, parsley, garlic, corn starch and spices. Keep pulsing until a coarse texture forms.
- Chill. Let the falafel mixture rest for an hour in the fridge to allow it to firm up; making it easier to form the falafel balls.
- Form. I use my hands to form the falafel it into a golf ball shape, but you can use a cookie scoop or get fancy and use a falafel scoop if you’d like.
- Air Fry. Preheat air fryer at 380-degrees. Spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil and arrange the falafel without crowding the basket. Spray the falafel balls with baking spray as well and cook for 15 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
Baked Falafel Option:
If you don’t own and air fryer, get yourself one now! 🙂 You can also bake the falafel balls at 400F. Place the falafel balls on the greased baking sheet. Drizzle generously with olive oil, and bake for 30 minutes. Flipping half way though until golden brown and crisp on the outside.
How to Store/Freeze Air- Fried Falafel:
- Air-fried falafel can be stored in an airtight container in fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 350 F for about 15 minutes or until warmed through.
- Uncooked falafel balls freeze so well, making meal prep super easy. After forming the falafel balls, arrange on a baking sheet or tray and stick it in the freezer for few hours until the falafel balls harden up. Then place in a freezer-safe container or bag. They will keep well for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the air fryer when ready to serve.
How to Serve Air-Fried Falafel: