This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Ever wonder what to make with those overripe bananas that no one wants to eat? Very simple, make this healthy Banana Bread with Dates and Walnuts! With its super-moist texture and incredibly soft crumb, this is my favorite banana bread recipe. You need 2 ripe bananas.
Banana Bread with Dates and Walnuts
You will love this super soft and light Banana Nut Bread. It perfect for breakfast, snack time, or whenever your sweet tooth needs indulging. Also a great way to use up overripe bananas.
Do you ever end up with several overripe bananas on your counter at the end of the week? It seems like we do all of the time, so I always store ripe bananas in the freezer and defrost them the night before making my banana cakes.
But today’s homemade walnut date banana bread recipe is another fantastic way to use them! This healthy banana bread is packed with banana, walnuts, and dates, which add so much flavor and makes it incredibly moist!
DATE WALNUT BANANA BREAD INGREDIENTS:
(Full recipe with exact measurements at the end of this post)
This simple banana bread recipe comes together quickly with minimal ingredients. Here’s what we’ll need to make it:
- Overripe bananas: There is one cup of mashed banana in this cake to give it maximum banana flavor! Which, depending on the size of your bananas, should be about 2 medium sized bananas.
- Sugar: Beat sugar with the eggs for several minutes before adding other ingredients. This results in a super fluffy banana loaf.
- All purpose four: Spooned and leveled.
- Baking powder: Helps the banana loaf rise.
- Eggs: at room temperature.
- Salt: Enhances the banana flavor.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract is best in this recipe.
- Buttermilk: Helps the loaf come out moist and fluffy.
- Ground cinnamon: complements so well with bananas.
- Unsalted butter: half a cup!
- Walnuts: For an extra crunchy texture.
- Pitted dates: Extra no refined sugar.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA BREAD WITH DATES AND WALNUTS:
- The Dry Mix — As with most cake recipes, you first need to mix the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients in separate bowls. I mix all the fry ingredients until fully combined, except sugar in a large bowl.
- The Wet Mix — In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, mix eggs with vanilla extract until fluffy, add sugar and mix for another 2-3 minutes. Then add oil, mashed bananas, buttercream and continue mixing until the batter in incorporated.
- Combine the ingredients — Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients gradually and mix to combine.
- Add the Walnuts and Dates —Fold in the chopped walnuts and chopped pitted dates. I use a rubber spatula for this step.
- Bake the banana loaf —Bake at 350°F (177°C) for 50-55 minutes or until its deep golden brown on top and a wooden skewer inserted into the middle comes out with only moist crumbs on it.
- Let Cool before slicing — Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
Recommended Tools To Make Banana Bread with Dates and Walnuts:
RECIPE TIPS AND VARIATIONS
- Make sure to use ripe bananas otherwise your flavor will lack. You want the bananas to have a nice brown freckle look to them.
- If you have nut allergy, you can remove the walnuts, I love the extra texture they add.
- For healthier option, substitute white sugar for honey or maple syrup. You can also substitute all purpose flour for whole wheat flour.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How to brown up bananas quickly?
If your bananas are not ripe, and you just can’t wait to try this banana bread, place foil on a baking sheet and place unripe bananas in a single layer. Bake at 275 degrees for 30 minutes or until the skins of the bananas are black and the bananas are soft. Allow the bananas to cool a bit then peel and use in any recipe you would like.
Why is my banana bread dry?
Overbaking the bread or adding too much flour will lead to a dry bread. For best results, it’s important to measure your flour properly. I use the spooned and leveled method:
- Gently fluff your flour with a large spoon to loosen it up.
- Spoon the flour into your measuring cup (don’t scoop it in!).
- Level off the excess with a butter knife.
How to store banana bread with dates are walnuts:
Once the banana date bread is almost cooled, you should keep it in an airtight container so it will stay soft and moist. You can keep at room temperature for up to 3 days and in the fridge for up to 7 days.
To freeze the entire loaf of banana bread, wrap it two or three times in plastic wrap, making sure no parts of the bread are left uncovered. Then wrap it a final time in aluminum foil and freeze. You can also the same method to freeze in slices. I like I like to freeze banana bread in slices because the slices thaw much quicker.
When you’re ready to eat the loaf of banana bread, set it out on your counter to thaw. Warm a little in the microwave before serving if you’d like.
Craving muffins instead? Follow my favorite recipe for Banana Crumb Muffins.