Banana Bread with Dates and Walnuts
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Ever wonder what to make with those overripe bananas that no one wants to eat? Very simple, make this healthy-ish Banana Bread with Dates and Walnuts! With its super-moist texture and incredibly soft crumb, this is my favorite banana bread recipe. You need 2 ripe bananas.
Banana Bread with Dates and Walnuts
You will love this super soft and light Banana Bread with Dates and Walnuts. It perfect for breakfast, snack time, or whenever your sweet tooth needs indulging. Also a great way to use up overripe bananas.
Do you ever end up with several overripe bananas on your counter at the end of the week? It seems like we do all of the time, so I always store ripe bananas in the freezer and defrost them the night before making my banana cakes.
But today’s homemade walnut date banana loaf recipe is another fantastic way to use them! This cake is packed with banana, walnuts, and dates, which add so much flavor and makes it incredibly moist!
DATE WALNUT BANANA BREAD INGREDIENTS:
(Full recipe with exact measurements at the end of this post)
This simple recipe comes together quickly with minimal ingredients. Here’s what we’ll need to make it:
- Overripe bananas: There is one cup of mashed banana in this cake to give it maximum banana flavor! Which, depending on the size of your bananas, should be about 2 medium sized bananas.
- Sugar: Beat sugar with the eggs for several minutes before adding other ingredients. This results in a super fluffy banana loaf.
- All purpose four: Spooned and leveled.
- Baking powder: Helps the banana loaf rise.
- Eggs: at room temperature.
- Salt: Enhances the banana flavor.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract is best in this recipe.
- Buttermilk: Helps the loaf come out moist and fluffy.
- Ground cinnamon: complements so well with bananas.
- Unsalted butter: half a cup!
- Walnuts: For an extra crunchy texture.
- Pitted dates: Extra no refined sugar.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA BREAD WITH DATES AND WALNUTS:
- The Dry Mix — As with most cake recipes, you first need to mix the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients in separate bowls. I mix all the fry ingredients until fully combined, except sugar in a large bowl.
- The Wet Mix — In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, mix eggs with vanilla extract until fluffy, add sugar and mix for another 2-3 minutes. Then add oil, mashed bananas, buttercream and continue mixing until the batter in incorporated.
- Combine the ingredients — Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients gradually and mix to combine.
- Add the Walnuts and Dates —Fold in the chopped walnuts and chopped pitted dates. I use a rubber spatula for this step.
- Bake the banana loaf —Bake at 350°F (177°C) for 50-55 minutes or until its deep golden brown on top and a wooden skewer inserted into the middle comes out with only moist crumbs on it.
- Let Cool before slicing — Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
HOW TO STORE DATA WALNUT BANANA BREAD:
You can keep this banana date bread on your countertop in a sealed bag or wrapped with foil for a few days, or you can freeze it for later. To freeze the entire loaf of banana bread, wrap it two or three times in plastic wrap, making sure no parts of the bread are left uncovered. Then wrap it a final time in aluminum foil and freeze. You can also the same method to freeze in slices. I like I like to freeze banana bread in slices because the slices thaw much quicker.
When you’re ready to eat the loaf of banana bread, set it out on your counter to thaw. Warm a little in the microwave before serving if you’d like.
Overall, this is an easy recipe for banana bread with dates and walnuts. The batter takes about 10 minutes to throw together, the bread stays moist for days, and nothing beats the smell of fresh banana bread in the oven. (Except for, maybe, Pumpkin Roll Cake… try that one next!)
More Cake Recipes:
Banana Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze
If you like this Heathy Banana Bread recipe or any other recipe on The Salt and Sweet Kitchen, then don’t forget to rate it! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Thank you Rose for this banana bread recipe. It was delicious, moist and my kids ate the dates with no complaints. I’ll be making it again!
That’s so great! Thank you for trying it my banana bread 🙂
I made this banana bread yesterday and it was absolutely delicious and so easy to make! Thanks for the recipe!
Happy to hear that, Sabira 🙂