Pumpkin Roll Cake
This post may contain affiliate links.
This Pumpkin Roll Cake is a classic fall dessert. Spiced pumpkin cake is rolled up with the best cream cheese frosting inside. It’s beautiful, delicious, and easy to make.
Pumpkin Roll Cake
Happy fall, everyone! In honor of officially starting a new season, I wanted to share my favorite fall dessert recipe!
Yep, I’m talkin’ about this totally irresistible, pumpkin roll cake! It’s the ultimate fall dessert that is perfect for any upcoming holiday gathering.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE A PUMKIN ROLL:
- Dry ingredients: granulated sugar, salt, flour, baking powder, baking soda.
- Pumpkin pie spice: I used ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg.
- Eggs: at room temperature.
- Vanilla extract
- Pumpkin puree: I used 100% pure pumpkin purée can, because it saves so much time and tastes great. If canned pumpkin isn’t available where you live, or you’d just prefer to use fresh, that’s not a problem. For baking, the most flavorful pumpkins are smaller than those typically associated with Jack-O-Lanterns. They’re usually in the 4 to 8-pound range and are referred to as sugar, cooking, or pie pumpkins. You will need 2/3 of a cup of pumpkin puree, use a 1/3 of a cup and fill it twice if you don’t own a 2/3 of measuring cup.
- Cream cheese frosting ingredients: powdered sugar, butter and vanilla. Pure indulgence! 😉 I used the same cream cheese frosting recipe, I used in my carrot cake.
You will also need:
- 10 x 15 jelly roll pan: you have to use a 10 x 15 inch pan so the pumpkin cake comes out thin and easy to roll.
- Non-stick Parchment paper
How to Make Pumpkin Roll Cake:
- Whisk dry ingredients: one of the most important steps in this recipe is to whisk the dry ingredients together (except the sugar) .
- Beat eggs, sugar, & vanilla together: beat these wet ingredients together until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in pumpkin puree: until incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients: pour the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients. Fold using a rubber spatula.
- Bake: spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan lined with parchment paper, give it a quick shake to make sure the batter is leveled and smooth in the pan. Bake for only around 10-12 minutes only.
- Invert the warm cake: This part needs to move quickly, so be ready. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, run a knife around the edges of the pan (if needed) to loosen the cake. Then carefully invert the warm cake onto parchment paper or a clean thin kitchen towel dusted with powdered sugar.
- Roll and cool: gently start the rolling process with the powdered parchment/towel, from the narrow end to the narrow end and let cool completely in the rolled up shape on a wire wrack. This step will help the roll hold a shape before assembling with cream cheese frosting.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cream cheese frosting.
- Carefully unroll the cake: it might crack a little, that’s ok, you can always hide the cracks with extra sprinkles of powdered sugar on top later.
- Assemble: spread cream cheese frosting then roll back up.
- Refrigerate: for about an hour.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar: before serving, if you like.
Tips for Making the Best Pumpkin Roll Cake:
- Measure your flour correctly! Adding too much flour to the recipe is the most common mistake that will yield a dry and dense cake.
- The eggs should be at room temperature to ensure they incorporate into your batter evenly. If you forgot to take your egg out of the fridge ahead of time, you could quickly bring it to room temperature by placing it in a large bowl and covering it with warm tap water for 5 minutes.
- Don’t over bake it, mine was done at 10 minutes. It’s important to work quickly once the cake comes out of the oven. You want to get it rolled while it’s still hot to prevent any cracking.
- You can use crushed walnuts or pecans for a topping to decorate and add an extra crunch. Or, you can keep it simple with a light dusting of powdered sugar.
How to Store Pumpkin Roll Cake?
Store this pumpkin roll in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it by wrapping it tightly, it will keep well for up to 3months. Let it thaw completely before slicing and serving.
Looking for More Fall Recipes: