Pumpkin Cake Roll
This post may contain affiliate links.
This Pumpkin Cake Roll is a classic fall dessert. Spiced pumpkin cake is rolled up with the best cream cheese frosting inside. It’s beautiful, delicious, and easy to make.
Happy fall, everyone! In honor of officially starting a new season, I wanted to share my favorite fall dessert recipe!
Yep, I’m talkin’ about this totally irresistible, pumpkin cake roll!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE A PUMKIN ROLL:
- Dry ingredients: granulated sugar, vanilla extract, salt, flour, baking powder, baking soda.
- Seasoning spices: ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg.
- Eggs and pumpkin puree: I used store-bought canned pumpkin puree, because it saves so much time and tastes great. But if you happen to have unused pumpkins lying around, feel free to make your own pumpkin puree 🙂
- Cream cheese frosting ingredients: powdered sugar, butter and vanilla. Pure indulgence! 😉 I used the same cream cheese frosting recipe, I used in my carrot cake.
You will also need:
- 10 x 15 jelly roll pan: you have to use a 10 x 15 inch pan so the pumpkin cake comes out thin and easy to roll.
- Non-stick Parchment paper
TIPS FOR MAKING A PUMPKIN ROLL:
- Beat eggs, sugar, & vanilla together: beat these wet ingredients together until fluffy, which is about 2 minutes.
- Beat in pumpkin puree: until incorporated.
- Wisk dry ingredients: one of the most important steps in this recipe is to wisk the dry ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients: pour the egg, sugar and pumpkin puree mixture over the sifted dry ingredients. Fold using a rubber spatula.
- Bake: spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan lined with parchment paper, give it a quick shake to make sure the batter is leveled and smooth in the pan. Bake for only around 10-12 minutes only.
- Invert the warm cake: immediately invert the warm cake onto parchment paper or a clean thin kitchen towel dusted with powdered sugar.
- Roll and cool: gently start the rolling process with the parchment/towel, from the narrow end to the narrow end and let cool completely in the rolled up shape on a wire wrack. This step will help the roll hold a shape before assembling with cream cheese frosting.
- Carefully unroll the cake: it might crack a little, that’s ok, you can always hide the cracks with extra sprinkles of powdered sugar on top later.
- Assemble: spread cream cheese frosting then roll back up.
- Refrigerate: for about an hour.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar: before serving, if you like.