This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Crumbly on the outside and moist on the inside, these Banana Crumb Muffins will leave your taste buds in awe. Loaded with dates and walnuts, and the crumb streusel topping only takes an extra minute to make, and adds a delightfully crumbly sweet layer of flavor!
Banana Crumb Muffins
Do you freeze over ripe bananas with the intention of using them one day?
Are you yet to use those frozen bananas?
While I am generally always happy to share every recipe that I post, there are some that I am REALLY excited to share- and this is one of them. These banana crumb muffins have all the flavors of banana cake, but in muffin size. Full of bananas, dates and walnuts, with a hint of cinnamon and a perfectly fluffy texture. Perfect for breakfast, snack time, or an after dinner dessert!
Let’s talk about crumble. Or streusel. Or whatever you want to call it. This nice thick crumb topping, just makes these banana muffins extra delicious.
For the full recipe, please scroll all the way down to the recipe card, but here is a general overview of the ingredients and method used to make these muffins:
- Bananas – Ripe bananas- the riper, the better!
- Dry Ingredients – The typical muffin ingredients, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Give them a stir with a whisk, this adds air in place of sifting.
- Wet ingredients – Sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and butter combine to make these moist banana muffins.
- Dates and walnuts – YUM!
- Streusel Topping – Butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.
Make the Streusel Topping/ Crumb topping
- In a small bowl, add the softened butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon and mix with your hands until it forms rough clumps. Set aside while you make the banana bread.
How to Make Banana Muffins with Dates and Walnuts:
- Make the batter: In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Scrape the bowl down half way through. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition as well as scraping down the sides of the bowl. Mix in the bananas and vanilla.
- Combine dry Ingredients: Mix the dry ingredients until the batter just comes together. Fold in the chopped dates and walnuts.
- Scoop the muffins: Line a 12-hole muffin pan with cupcake liners, then fill each liner 3/4 full with batter.
- Sprinkle the prepared crumb topping over each muffin.
- Bake the muffins: Place the pan in preheated oven (350 F) and allow to bake for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
- Serve: Remove from the oven, allow to cool then serve.
Tips for Perfect Muffins
- Do not reduce the sugar – the right amount of sugar will create the right texture for these muffins. Do not reduce it as it is already less than most cake recipes.
- Do not over-mix. Just fold in the flour gently until well combined, but no need to mix vigorously. Just mix until no streaks of dry flour remain. The batter should be a bit lumpy
- Fill muffin wells about 3/4 full or a bit less.
- Do not over-bake. Over-baking will most definitely lead to dry muffins. Make sure you check with a skewer for doneness.
Keep muffins in a zippered bag or airtight container at room temperature. They should keep about 4-5 days.
Banana crumb muffins are also super easy to freeze! Simply freeze them when they are fully cooled by popping them in a zippered bag. They should keep about a month or so in the freezer.