This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Mediterranean Savory Muffins are tender, savory, full with zaatar spice, and melty chunks of mozzarella cheese throughout.
If you’re looking for a flavorful upgrade to ordinary brunch muffins, try these Mediterranean Savory Muffins. Infused with zaatar spice and stuffed with cheese chunks, each bite is as aromatic as it is delectable.
Ingredients in Mediterranean Savory Muffins With Zaatar:
- Dry Ingredients: I love to use a combination of all purpose flour and wheat flour in baking when I can. These savory muffins also need a very small amount of sugar, along with zaatar spice, baking powder and a pinch salt.
- Wet Ingredients: An egg, vegetable oil, a drop of white vinegar, Greek yogurt and milk combine to make the best Mediterranean Muffins. Use full fat ingredients for the best texture and flavor.
- Cheese: You’ll need to use low moisture mozzarella cheese, not the fresh mozzarella that comes in water. I like to cut mine into chunks and place them in middle of each muffin, to get gooey pockets of cheese in each bite.
- Olives: You can also add 1 pitted olive in each muffin, if available.
How to Make Savory Muffins
- Prep: Start by preheating your oven to 350 F and lining a muffin tin pan with paper liners and grease generously with cooking spray. Alternatively, you can grease the muffin tin directly with cooking spray.
- Wet batter: In a medium sized bowl, add the egg, white vinegar, milk, Greek yogurt, oil, and sugar to your mixing bowl and whisk them together until well combined.
- Dry mixture: In a separate medium sized bowl, sift together all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, zaatar spice and salt. Whisk well until combined.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients: Add dry mixture to the wet batter. Stir the batter together until just combined without overmixing.
- Prep the Cheese: Cut the cheese into 1/2-inch cube chunks and set aside. You’ll need 12 cubes.
- Assemble the muffins: Fill each muffin liner cup with about 2 tablespoons of muffin batter. Add 1 cheese cube (and an olive if using) to each muffin.
- Top the muffins evenly with the remaining batter, about ¾ way full.
- Bake: Bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Tips Variations on Mediterranean Savory Muffins
- Cheese: There are plenty of different kinds of cheese you can use for the zaatar muffins cheese. I used mozzarella cheese, but you can also use cheddar cheese, muenster, parmesan, or Colby cheese.
- Gluten-free: If you’re looking for in gluten-free savory muffin recipe, swap the all-purpose flour and wheat flour mixture, with any gluten-free flour. Almond flour, coconut flour, and oat flour would all work well for Gluten-Free savory muffins.
- Expect a thick batter. Thick batter helps ensure the muffins lift UP rather than spread OUT.
How to Serve Savory Muffins:
These Mediterranean zaatar muffins make the best breakfast or brunch. Use a butter knife to slice a warm muffin in half. You can spread some labneh over the muffin then serve it with fresh veggies and olives.
Keep muffins in a zippered bag or airtight container in the fridge. They should keep about 4-5 days, warm a little in air fryer or microwave before serving.
Zaatar and cheese muffins are also super easy to freeze! Simply freeze them when they are fully cooled by popping them in a zippered bag. They should keep about a month or so in the freezer.