Lebanese Chicken Noodle Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Lebanese Chicken Noodle Soup loaded with Mediterranean flavors and a delicious broth made from scratch! One pot… One soup! The end result is the BEST Lebanese Chicken Vermicelli Soup you’ll ever have!
Simple Chicken Noodle Soup
A homemade easy to make Chicken Noodle Soup, perfect for any day of the week! With the broth AND the soup made from scratch in under an hour, you will be craving this often! Healthy, low calorie, filling with incredible flavors!
In this Lebanese noodle soup, I use vermicelli noodles instead of egg noodles. Similar to my Lebanese Lamb Soup, but with chicken instead.
Simple Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients:
To make this easy chicken noodle soup recipe, you’ll need the following basic ingredients:
Noodles: Broken vermicelli noodles.
Chicken: I used bone on, skin on chicken thighs and legs.
Rice: Short grain.
Parsley: For garnishing.
Oil and butter: for toasting the vermicelli noodles.
Cinnamon sticks: and bay leaves if available for extra flavor.
How to Make Homemade Chicken Broth:
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
This chicken vermicelli soup is made from chicken legs and thighs simmered into a simple broth. No need for ready-to-serve chicken broth when it is so simple to make your own.
- Add chicken legs and thighs to a large pot. Pour cold water over and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Skim any excess fat, add cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and salt, reduce heat to medium low and cover the pot. Let it simmer for about 40 minutes, or until chicken in cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool. Once cool, remove meat from bones. Discard bones, cut meat into bite-size pieces, and add back to soup and set aside.
- Keep the chicken broth reserved in the pot to make the soup.
How to Make Simple Chicken Noodle Soup:
- In a small skillet over medium heat, add a little butter and olive oil and broken vermicelli noodles and cook until golden brown.
- Add golden vermicelli noodles to the chicken broth, along with rice and cook over medium heat.
- Once rice is cooked through, add chopped parsley ang chicken pieces.
- Top with fried or toasted pine nuts if using, serve and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use any other type of noodle in Lebanese chicken noodle soup?
Yes, of course! You will need to monitor the cooking time as they will all vary slightly. Egg noodles tend to be fine cooked in the chicken broth.
Can I use cooked rice in this vermicelli soup?
I always use uncooked rice, which allows the rice to absorb the delicious flavors of the broth. Cooked rice can be used instead and added with the shredded and cooked chicken, but it won’t be nearly as tasty.
How can I store Lebanese vermicelli soup?
Once the soup has cooled, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
How do I reheat Lebanese chicken noodle soup?
The best way to reheat chicken noodle soup is slowly on the stovetop, mixing well to ensure even heating. Thin it a little with extra chicken broth or little water if you prefer to have a thinner broth. You can also reheat in microwave, of course.