This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Beet and Apple Salad is irresistibly refreshing, crunchy and vibrant. Spring mix, green apples and roasted beets, all drizzled with a tangy garlic lemon Vinaigrette. Make it for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any meal in between!
Beet and Apple Salad
This beet and apple salad celebrates my favorite fall produce. The combination of beets and green apples create a salad that’s simple, flavorful, and gorgeous. It’s elegant enough for a special occasion meal, but it’s so easy to make, that you’ll toss it together for everyday dinners. Oh yeah, it’s healthy, too!
Ingredients to Make Beet and Apple Salad:
This apple salad recipe is packed with varied textures and flavors, but the ingredients are pretty straightforward.
- Spring salad mix: I like to use a spring salad mix for variety, but you can also use Romaine lettuce, baby spinach, or arugula as well.
- Apples: I used green Granny Smith apples, but red delicious, fuji apples, honey crisp and gala are also good options. You can slice your apples or chop them into chunks – totally personal preference.
- Roasted beets: Roast your beets in the oven or air fryer, or use precooked, store bought beets.
- Lemon vinaigrette dressing : Combination of lemon juice, garlic, salt and olive oil, for a tangy finishing touch!
How to slice a Apples for Apple salad?
Simply cut in the middle of the apple lengthwise to expose the core. Remove that core and start slicing away lengthwise. You can also slice the apples into small bite size cubes, of you prefer.
How to Make Beet and Apple Salad:
Roast the beets in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Prep the beets: scrub, wash, and cut the tops, then wrap each individual beet in aluminum foil.
- Roast the beets. Place the wrapped beets on a baking sheet. Roast for 50 to 60 minutes. Beets are done when a fork or skewer slides easily to the center of the beet. Small beets will cook quicker.
- Peel the beets. Set the beets aside until cool enough to handle. Hold one of the beets in a paper towel and use the edges of the paper to rub the skin away. The skin should peel away easily; if it doesn’t, the beets likely need to cook for a little longer.
Prepare the lemon vinaigrette.
In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, crushed garlic, salt and olive oil. Whisk well and set aside. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. (Alternatively, add all the ingredients to a mason jar, cover with the lid, and shake vigorously to blend.
Assemble the Salad:
Place the greens in a large bowl, drizzle with about half of the vinaigrette and toss to combine. Then top with apple slices and beet slices, drizzle with the a remaining vinaigrette as desired and gently toss again.
Beet and Apple Salad Tips and Variations:
I love this apple and beet salad recipe as written, but like all my salad recipes, it’s flexible!
- Swap the fruit. Can’t find green apples? Used thinly sliced Gala or Honeycrisp apples instead!
- Add cheese. Top your salad with crumbled goat cheese, pecorino, shaved parmesan, gorgonzola cheese, or another type of blue cheese.
- Switch the greens. Skip the green mix, and make this salad with romaine lettuce, baby kale or spinach instead of mixed greens. Remember, spring greens wilt quickly once they’ve been tossed with dressing. If you are preparing this salad in advance, keep the dressing separate until you’re ready to serve. For best results, chop the apple just before tossing everything together, since apples brown when they are exposed to air.
- Nuts: You can sprinkle some chopped walnuts, pecans or candied pecans.
- Protein: Make this salad a meal by adding beans, grilled chicken or shrimp on top.
Let me know what variations you try!