This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These are the best Pecan Bars! They are just like pecan pie but in bar form. This recipe starts with crushed pecans, combined with a homemade caramel sauce, then baked over a buttery flaky crust. It’s delicious served as is, or with a big pile of ice cream. These Pecan Bars are great for New Year’s Eve dessert or anytime of the year!
Pecan Bars (Without Corn Syrup)
These honey pecan bars are perfect for the holiday season and special occasions.
The shortbread crust is melt in your mouth delicious. Just press it into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Pecan Bars:
FOR THE CRUST
- All-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar
- Butter: Unsalted cold butter- straight from the fridge
FOR THE FILLING
- Light brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Pecan Bars:
This pecan pie bars recipe is really quite simple! Just make and bake the crust, pour in the filling, and bake some more. Let it cool, and you’ve got the perfect nutty dessert.
To Make the Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 8×8 baking pan with foil or parchment paper (leave some paper hanging over the sides. Grease with baking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the flour, corn starch, powdered sugar, and salt and pulse a couple of times to combine. Add cubed cold butter and pulse until the mixture is coarse, but not doughy.
- Transfer the mixture to your prepared greased pan, pressing the crust evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake at 350 F for about 15 minutes or until the crust has set and the edges are just lightly browned.
Make the Pecan Pie Bars:
- Meanwhile, while the crust is baking, combine the butter, brown sugar, honey, , milk and salt in a large skillet. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and pecans, mixing until incorporated.
- Pour hot pecan filling over your warm crust.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let it cool completely before slicing into bars.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can you Freeze Pecan Bars:
This pecan squares recipe is a wonderful dessert to make ahead of time. Simply bake the the dis as directed, allow it to completely cool, then wrap tightly with plastic wrap or foil. Place in a freezer-safe zip-top bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before slicing and serving.
I made about 3 or 4 of these bars the past couple of weeks to freeze for the upcoming holidays– they freeze and thaw beautifully! No one ever realizes they aren’t freshly baked.
How to Store Pecan Pie Bars:
Once these pecan bars are cooled completely to room temperature, transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 4 days.
These bars are a glorious tribute to all things sweet. I love the delicious caramel layer filled with crunchy pecans. You can, of course, substitute another type of nut, if you like. Once you try them, I think you’ll find yourself making them again and again!