Date Walnut Banana Loaf
This post may contain affiliate links.
Ever wonder what to make with those overripe bananas that no one wants to eat? Very simple, make this healthy banana bread! This Date Walnut Banana Loaf is perfect for breakfast, snack time, with coffee/tea or whenever your sweet tooth needs indulging.
You will love this super soft and light date walnut banana loaf. Also a great way to use up overripe bananas. Do you ever end up with several overripe bananas on your counter at the end of the week? It seems like we do all of the time, so I always store ripe bananas in the freezer and defrost them the night before making my banana cakes.
But today’s homemade walnut date banana loaf recipe is another fantastic way to use them! This cake is packed with banana, walnuts, and dates, which add so much flavor and makes it incredibly moist!
DATE WALNUT BANANA LOAF INGREDIENTS:
This simple recipe comes together quickly with minimal ingredients. Here’s what we’ll need to make it:
- Overripe bananas: There is one cup of mashed banana in this cake to give it maximum banana flavor! Which, depending on the size of your bananas, should be about 2 medium sized bananas.
- Sugar: Beat sugar with the eggs for several minutes before adding other ingredients. This results in a super fluffy banana loaf.
- All purpose four: Spooned and leveled.
- Baking powder: Helps the banana loaf rise.
- Eggs: at room temperature.
- Salt: Enhances the banana flavor.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract is best in this recipe.
- Buttermilk: Helps the loaf come out moist and fluffy.
- Ground cinnamon: complements so well with bananas.
- Unsalted butter: half a cup!
- Walnuts: For an extra crunchy texture.
- Pitted dates: No refined sugar.
HOW TO MAKE DATE WALNUT BANANA LOAF:
- The Dry Mix — As with most cake recipes, you first need to mix the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients in separate bowls. I mix all the fry ingredients until fully combined, except sugar in a large bowl.
- The Wet Mix-In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, mix eggs with vanilla extract until fluffy, add sugar and mix for another 2-3 minutes. Then add oil, mashed bananas, buttercream and continue mixing until the batter in incorporated.
- Combine the ingredients — Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients gradually and mix to combine.
- Add the Walnuts and Dates– Fold in the chopped walnuts and chopped pitted dates. I use a rubber spatula for this step.
- Bake the banana loaf—Bake at 350°F (177°C) for 50-60 minutes or until its deep golden brown on top and a wooden skewer inserted into the middle comes out with only moist crumbs on it.
- Let Cool before slicing— Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
HOW TO STORE DATA WALNUT BANANA BREAD:
Cover and store banana bread at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Banana bread tastes best on day 2 after the flavors have settled together. Or you can freeze it for up to 3 months. I like to warm up each piece in the microwave for a few seconds before serving leftovers.
If you like this Date Walnut Banana Loaf recipe or any other recipe on The Salt and Sweet Kitchen, then don’t forget to rate it! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!