Chicken Spinach Fettuccine Alfredo
Chicken spinach fettuccine Alfredoooooo! I’ve got you covered if you are looking for a healthier version of the classic Alfredo sauce. In this chicken spinach fettuccine Alfredo recipe I ditch the heavy cream altogether and use low-fat milk for the sauce instead.
Why I love this recipe?
Creamy? Check. Hearty and filling? Check. Something green? Check. My kids will eat it? Check. Ready in less than 30 mins? Check.
- 8 oz fettuccine noodles (uncooked)
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips (about 1 lb)
- 1/2 tbs ground nutmeg
- 1 tbs ground ginger
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tbs ground white pepper
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 cups low-fat milk- 2%
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cup fresh spinach leaves (I used baby spinach)
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms- sliced
- Cook and drain the fettuccine according to the package directions, drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, add olive oil, chicken, salt and the spices, stirring occasionally until fully cooked, this will take about 12 mins.
- Add mushroom slices, stir well and cook for another 5 mins
- While Chicken is cooking, in sauce pan over medium high heat add milk and flour and a pinch of salt. whisking constantly to work out any lumps.
- Cook for about 7 minutes, whisking frequently until you bring the mixture to a boil and until mixtures thickens- The stirring process will avoid the mixture from sticking to the bottom of pot.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in mozzarella cheese, butter, cooked chicken mixture, and spinach into the sauce. Stir until cheese has melted.
- Remove sauce pan from heat.
- Taste the sauce and add salt as necessary.
- Add cooked Fettuccine to sauce and stir until the sauce evenly coats the noodles.
- Serve hot and enjoy!