Shrimp, Rice and Peas
This shrimp, rice and peas recipe is one of my family’s favorites. It is packed full of flavor and cooked all in ONE PAN in under 30 minutes. I used medium grain rice, but you can even speed things up and make it with Basmati rice if you’d like. Basmati rice takes less time to cook.
I always prefer to use fresh peeled and deveined shrimp, but frozen shrimp works just fine! if you decide to use frozen shrimp, Just make sure to thaw the shrimp as directed on the package (usually overnight in the refrigerator in a colander with a bowl underneath; or more quickly in a colander under running cold water).
- 1 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 cup medium-grain rice
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 lemon– squeezed
- 1 garlic clover– crushed
- Salt – to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Soak the rice with plenty of water for at 20 minutes which helps speed up the cooking time – Optional.
- In a medium sized bowl, add shrimp, garlic, lemon juice, black pepper, a pinch of salt, olive oil and mix well.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add a single layer of marinated shrimp and let it cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until each side turns pink. Transfer shrimp to a small plate and set aside. Shrimp cooks very quickly!
- In the same skillet, add butter and rice (fully drained), peas and water. When it starts boiling, cover and lower the heat to low.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until rice is fully cooked and has absorbed all the water.
- Add the cooked shrimp to the cooked rice and toss gently.
- Serve and enjoy!
Here is another shrimp dish recipe!