Indulge yourself with this Apple Caramel Cake recipe. It is a delicious, moist and rich cinnamon spiced cake, dappled with fresh chunks of apples and drizzled with sweet caramel glaze!
Apples and caramel my perfect combo ever. YUM!
The Caramel Glaze
The apple caramel cake glaze could not be any easier to make. It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare, then simply pour over the cake. If you want a runny glaze, pour it on the cake while hot. If you want a thicker icing glaze, wait for the caramel sauce to cool down for about 15 minutes. Both options are delicious! I prefer a thin runny glaze that soaks through the cake.
For the Apple Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs- at room temprature
- 2 cups sugar
- 11/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground cinammon
- 3 medium apples- pealed, cored and chopped into small chunks ( about 2 cups chopped)
For Carmel Glaze
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 a stick)
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
The Apple CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (175°C).
- Grease a 9 inch Bundt pan with baking spray and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat eggs and vanilla extract very well until fluffy.
- Now add oil and buttermilk and continue beating
- Add sugar and beat some more, until bubbly.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Add into the batter and mix just until blended.
- Fold in the apples by hand using a rubber spoon.
- Pour into the prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 20 minutes in the pan before inverting into a serving plate.
Homemade Carmel Glaze:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the butter, milk, and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in vanilla until combined.
- Drizzle over the warm apple cake.
Buttermilk substitute: measure 1/2 cup milk and add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice. Stir, then let it sit for 5 minutes.