This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Crispy, golden, delicious Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets is my favorite way to make breaded chicken without all the oil! Air fryer breaded chicken will become your new favorite way to prepare chicken. It requires minimal prep and less than 20 minutes to cook. Serve these air fryer chicken cutlets on their own, in hamburger rolls or over a salad!
Chicken Cutlets in Air Fryer:
Breaded thin chicken in air fryer is a mid week dinner dream. Juicy, tender chicken cutlets, covered with a golden crunchy, delicious outer coating of bread crumbs.
This is a great dish for any pallet and makes for a perfect dinner option when you want a filling dish that requires minimal prep and only takes 20 minutes to cook.
Healthy Air fryer chicken with bread crumbs will become your new favorite way to prepare chicken.
These Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets are so crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Easy to make and perfectly air fried crispy chicken that the whole family can enjoy!
What is a Chicken Cutlet?
A chicken cutlet is basically a thin piece of a chicken breast, which usually come pre-sliced thin at your local grocery store.
Chicken cutlets can be easily prepared at home from a whole boneless, skinless chicken breast. Slice each whole chicken breast horizontally from the thick end to the thin end into two equal pieces. Then you simply pound them with a mallet to an even 1/4-inch thickness.
Chicken breast cutlets cook quick and evenly, that’s why they are perfect for air frying!
Quick Chicken Hack: If slicing your own cutlets, it’s helpful to freeze the chicken breasts for 20-30 minutes before cutting. I find it easier to slice through a slightly frozen piece of chicken or meat.
Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets Ingredients:
There is nothing like a good piece of tender chicken, coated in a flavorful, crunchy outer coating. Welcome air fried breaded chicken! Here is what you’ll need:
- Chicken breast cutlets
- Panko breadcrumbs
- All purpose flour
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Cooking spray
Tips for Making Thin Breaded Chicken in an Air Fryer:
Easy to make and easy to like, this Air Fryer Breaded Chicken will win over both children and adults alike. Here are a few tips to help you make the best breaded chicken in air fryer!
- Pre heat your air fryer before adding the breaded chicken, for about 3 minutes.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket. Avoid the temptation of jamming a bunch of chicken pieces into the air fryer basket, this will lead to unevenly cooked cutlets.
- Flip the cutlets halfway through. To ensure they are crispy on both sides.
- Generously spray the chicken cutlets with cooking spray, once you place it in the air fryer and once you turn it halfway too.
- Don’t overcook your chicken breast: These cutlets cook really quick, overcooking can make them dry. I recommend you check around 7 minutes.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets:
(Full recipe with quantities in recipe card below)
- Dredge chicken cutlets in flour, beaten egg, then the breadcrumb mixture.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F and generously Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- In batches transfer chicken cutlets to the air fryer basket. Spray the top of the chicken with cooking spray as well.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes on one side then turn it, spray with cooking spray again and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Cook time will vary depending on the size and thickness of your chicken breasts. (Mine took 9 minutes).
- Serve and Enjoy!
Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets Recipe Variations:
- Seasoning Variation: You can add different herbs and spices to the crispy coating. For spicy chicken, add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper. Try dried parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, or rosemary. Mix the seasonings with the panko breadcrumbs so the spice coats the chicken.
- Add Parmesan: For crispy chicken with fresh Parmesan cheese flavor, mix shredded cheese into the breading mixture. Coat the chicken with the breadcrumb mixture and air fry as usual.
- Breading Variations: Try other types of crumbs in the crumb mixture. Instead of standard panko bread crumbs, the chicken would taste great with corn flake crumbs, pretzel crumbs, or chopped pecans.
Why you’ll love these Thin Breaded Chicken in Air Fryer:
- Cooked to perfection – This recipe is so crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside. Thanks to the Air Fryer!
- Customizable – Switch up the seasoning based on your preferences.
- Endless possibilities – These can be served as a main course with air fryer vegetable or a side salad for dinner or wrapped into a sandwich.
- Healthier – No oil. Just a bit of cooking spray needed.
- Kid friendly – And grown ups alike!
Frequently Asked Questions:
How to Bake Thin Chicken Breast:
If you don’t own an air fryer, you can bake these chicken cutlets instead:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and generously grease it with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken onto the prepared baking sheet and spray with cooking oil on top as well.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then flip the chicken cutlets and bake for 5-8 minutes more, or until golden and cooked through.
What is the difference between a chicken breast and a chicken cutlet?
A chicken cutlet is simply a thinly sliced chicken breast. A chicken breast is a whole breast.
What is the difference between chicken cutlets and chicken tenders?
Chicken cutlets are thin-sliced chicken breasts while chicken tenders are larger, thicker cuts of chicken breast meat.
What to serve with breaded air fryer chicken cutlet breast:
Air fryer chicken breast can be served alongside some roasted veggies, such as Rainbow Carrots with Tahini Sauce or air fryer vegetables to keep it as healthy as possible, such as Air Fryer Asparagus, Air Fryer Corn on the Cobor Air Fryer Carrot Fries.
How to store crispy air fryer chicken:
These crispy chicken cutlets are best enjoyed fresh. But you can store it in the fridge for 3-5 days. Allow the cutlets to cool off completely on a cooling rack before placing it in an airtight container and storing it in the fridge.
To Freeze, place in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
To Reheat Frozen Cutlets, Place frozen cutlets in the air fryer basket at 400°F and cook for 7-10minutes, or until heated through.